Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road
Default Uncured saltwater

We know that to add SW to your existing tank you must first cure it for a minimum of two days before the addititon (not talking about adding due to evaporation here) or water change.

What happens to those people who add live rock and then fill up the tank with freshly mixed SW? Will the LR essentially die?

Sorry guys just can't seem to find info on the repercussions of adding uncured SW. I can only find info on the fact that it should not be done.

Last edited by reefgirl189; 12-08-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: ETA Evaporating note
Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Some people add it right after it's mixed or after only an hour or so. This water I find is fully mixed (visually speaking) but is not the same. I recently had to bring my salinity up after removing some sold rock (had simply added some topoff water to the tank to compensate for the volume of the rock as I had no sw on hand).

I noticed the foam fall flat in my skimmer once the newly mixed (for about an hour) sw mixed with the tank. Not sure what that means tho.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgirl189 View Post
We know that to add SW to your existing tank you must first cure it for a minimum of two days before the addititon (not talking about adding due to evaporation here) or water change.

What happens to those people who add live rock and then fill up the tank with freshly mixed SW? Will the LR essentially die?

Sorry guys just can't seem to find info on the repercussions of adding uncured SW. I can only find info on the fact that it should not be done.
Interesting. I have never really heard of this or thought about it. I have used new water when setting up a Seahorse tank and used cured rock as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Interesting. I have never really heard of this or thought about it. I have used new water when setting up a Seahorse tank and used cured rock as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I noticed the foam fall flat in my skimmer once the newly mixed (for about an hour) sw mixed with the tank. Not sure what that means tho.
So what you're saying is your fish didn't sprout horns and/or wings and start flying away shooting lasers from their eyes, spearing innocent children and eating puppies?? Is the whole curing SW just a precaution for those with sensitive corals or fish?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Lol! Did nothing like that to the Seahorses...also set up a 25gal which is actually only a 20 if you get technical. I put 2 Bangaiis, a Clown and a Tailspot in and no problem, also a piece of liverock.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I meant newly mixed sw seems to be different but I'm not sure how. Besides my skimmer I never noticed anything else.

If you're bringing rock home don't you have the water mixing and ready for it? If that water is just recently mixed I wouldn't worry about it if it's fully dosolved.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Should mention that I prefer to mix my water in advance. I find the salinity tends to change after it sits awhile, but could maybe just be me.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Lol! Did nothing like that to the Seahorses...also set up a 25gal which is actually only a 20 if you get technical.
*snicker* hehe...

Well the reason I ask is because we are FINALLY getting our tank this weekend and it's a larger volumed one. We have 90 gal pre mixed saltwater just waiting but what if I need more? Am I going to kill anything or do any irrepairable damage if I put in some just-mixed SW into the tank while it's cycling?

I don't want to make any mistakes but I don't want to go buy three more of those rubbermaids brutes just for the sake of having the SW pre mixed. I don't have the room and I won't need that many after the tank is set up.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

What did you get for a tank? Saw that you had been looking, must have missed the buy...

Everyone seems to love build threads and lots of pics! Get some up, let's see the beast....or did I miss it???.ugh...
Old 12-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
What did you get for a tank? Saw that you had been looking, must have missed the buy...

Everyone seems to love build threads and lots of pics! Get some up, let's see the beast....or did I miss it???.ugh...
We don't have it quite yet. We're heading down South to Lethbridge today and coming back it with it tomorrow. It's a 180 gal from Hawk. As far as I know it's still up and running as I type. Thankfully Hawk is going to be helping us by tearing it down and having it ready to move for when we show up at his door, because tearing down a SW would be something I wouldn't feel all that confident doing.

I think the most interesting part of this tank is going to be how we move everything. It's not going to be very fun but hopefully we can do it with minimal die-off.

I'm bringing two of the strongest guys I know to help me. And then there's puny chicken-wing for muscles me. I have a feeling we are going to have an awesome time trying to move this beast. LOL

So if you think that it will be interesting enough to warrant my own build thread I'll give it my best shot.