Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-02-2002, 12:23 AM

bcdope is on a distinguished road
Default Taking Tank pictures

Just wondering if you guys had any tricks to devulge on taking that perfect reef tank picture... i got my developed the other day and found out that my flash got in the way.... yeah I know keep flash off right?

doh :confused:

[ 01 July 2002, 20:23: Message edited by: bcdope ]
Old 07-02-2002, 12:55 AM

Achilles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Achilles
Default Taking Tank pictures

I got a few tricks up my sleeve, but no photo's to prove they work. Just take my word for it.

First, you might as well turn the FLASH OFF because you have more than enough light coming from the aquarium.

Second, take all of your photo's on a SLIGHT ANGLE, this will avoid any reflection from you or the camera in the glass of the aquarium. Having absolutely no lights on in the room around the aquarium also helps to eliminate glare.

Third, a TRIPOD is always a great piece of equipment to help keep your shots stable. When zoomed in, or in macromode, even the slightest movement can spoil that perfect shot.

Fourth, TURN THE SHUTTER SPEED UP on the camera you are using (if you can). This will allow you to catch those fish that keep darting about at break neck speeds. Keep in mind that the faster the shutter speed, the less light that is let in to the aperture of the camera. Your pictures may appear much darker than actual at around 1000-1500 shutter speed.

I think there are a few more tricks, but I gotta run!

Happy shooting,

Jeff O'Neill