Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Skimz SM-251 V Deltec SC2560

I know I know, another 'this skimmer or that skimmer' thread. However, I just finished reading the skimmer review posted by mat20040 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80512) and it made me think.

I was originally planning on buying a Deltec SC2560 for my tank, but after reading that skimmer, I'm starting to think that maybe spending 2 grand when I can spend less than 1 for something that works as well is stupid.

The sump is already built, and the sump chamber was built expecting a small footprint skimmer (specifically the Deltec), so I can't switch to something that has an obnoxiously large pump sticking off the side of it.

I'm thinking a possible candidate instead would be the Skimz SM-251. Less than half the price, close to the same footprint. I can't find any reviews on this skimmer specifically (though plenty on other Skimz models which are largely positive). Anyone here use one? Know anything about it? It's less than half the price...

Tank will be almost 360 gallons of total water, but display will be around 275

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Like you said... not an opinion based on that skimmer specifically, but just adding another positive opinion on skimz. I have an SM-121. The small footprint is impressive... still 'skimz like a boss'. Lol.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

my Girly is running one Adam......she is fairly happy with it......it has been a little finicky and tricky to dial in.....she has a model that doesnt yet have the new pinwheel that is supposed to improve things so????......the build quality looks about middle of the road.....the deltecs may not skim any better but I will wager that it will last longer.....I have never met anyone that was disappointed with their deltecs
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 AM

Thanks Doug & Chris!

The price tag is very enticing... even if I had to replace it in 4 years, it would still be less money than the Deltec. hmmm, plenty to think about. Is the new pinwheel on the models being sold right now?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Thanks Doug & Chris!

The price tag is very enticing... even if I had to replace it in 4 years, it would still be less money than the Deltec. hmmm, plenty to think about. Is the new pinwheel on the models being sold right now?

I guess I should mention.... I ran a Deltec before the skimz, too, but it was not the same model as you are talking about either, haha. I was incredibly happy with the deltec, and it was only a bit easier to set and forget than the skimz. The skimz is fairly well built in terms of the cup, body, and pump area... the valve that controls the output/water level could be a bit firmer. The lid on mine does not fit tight, (does not stay on when flipped upside-down, it moves around when you shift the cup around. Deltec lid was snug). The cup does not connect to the body quite as smoothly... (the angled connection flanges are a bit more chunky)...(like Doug said... the deltec feels like it would last longer)... but in terms of overall skimming... its kicking butt just fine.

I only changed skimmers cause the deltec was too big for my system and I had to downsize and figured I would try something else. The skimz is also WAY cheaper than deltec (mine was 1/3rd the cost)... very affordable and competitive performance.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 11-30-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

The Deltec has a shiny sticker on it. I figure if nobody's going to tackle the real issues here it's up to me.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
The Deltec has a shiny sticker on it. I figure if nobody's going to tackle the real issues here it's up to me.
Good call Brett, you brought up a great issue with deltec actually!

The shiny sticker on mine fell off on day 2

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 11-30-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 PM

stickers... pffft. When I start my skimmer company, my logo is going to be laser etched in to the plastic then powder coated with ground unicorn horns. I'm also going to fill my tank with angel's tears, which conveniently have a specific gravity of exactly 1.026.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
stickers... pffft. When I start my skimmer company, my logo is going to be laser etched in to the plastic then powder coated with ground unicorn horns. I'm also going to fill my tank with angel's tears, which conveniently have a specific gravity of exactly 1.026.
Cleverness aside you still want the Deltec =)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 AM

Ah that's right you've got the TC 2560 don't you? They are pretty damn sexy I have to admit, do you love it?