Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road
Default Long tentacle anemone not eating

Hi,

I got a huge (10" diamater with tentacles) long tentacle anemone about a week ago and it's looking good except that it,s not accepting any food at all. It does not have any reaction to any food I put. It sometime grab it but soon let go.

I got it for my clownfish that were harrasing my duncan to the point it was going to die but the clownfish are not yet paying attention to the anemone.

this is an anemone that live in the sand and my tank is 23" deep and my lamp is Phoenix 14k metal halide 250 watt. The anemone is well inflated during the night but shrink somehow when the metal halide start. Does that mean it has enough or too much light? it has moved at the far end of the aquarium where the light is less strong. Does it have enough energy with this or should I be worried that it does not eat?

And for the clownfish, will they eventually adopt the anemone? I did a photomontage in Photoshop with the picture of the actual anemone and my clownfish in it and stick that outside the aquarium as I have read that it sometime work, any other tric?

here is a pic of the anemone:

Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I've been lucky with my LTA. It attached itself to a rock 10 yrs ago and has'nt moved at all from it even during several tank upgrades. Apparently they will continue to roam the tank until it finds it's happy spot. I tried feeding it when I first got it but as I said that was 10 yrs ago. So there is proof that they do not have to be target fed. The clowns will eventually host in it but that will be own their own terms. Could be 2 days or 2 months but it will happen.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

If the anenome is shriveling up when the lights come on and moving to a low light location, your lights are too strong for it right now. It may take some time for it to get used to them, or it may never like that much light. Wherever it is located now, I would put about 3 layers of egg crate or something else to dim the lights above it.

As for it not eating in its first week, I would leave it alone until it it quits shriveling up. I typically wouldn't feed an anemone during the first week, and a lot of people have healthy anemones that they never directly feed. My anemone in my RSM130 hasn't been fed in over a year and still doing great.

Your clowns may never take to that type of anemone. Occelaris clownfish like Gigantea's and Magnificent's in the wild, so that is your best bet to get them to take to an anemone. With that said, those are 2 of the most difficult anemones to keep alive. The picture trick I have heard will sometimes work, but your clownfish may never take to the anemone. I had an occelaris pair that were in a tank for a year with an anemone and I tried every trick I could find and they wouldn't go anywhere near it.

If you want a type of clownfish that is supposed to go in almost any anemone and usually go in one quickly, get a pair of clarki's.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 PM

They did go to inquire about it in the first day and even touched it but they won't go plunge into it and they now seem to have lost interest and have adopted a turbinaria coral since I removed the duncan.

I have put the duncan back near the anemone in the sand and see what happen. The anemone cannot touch it but it is pretty close so they might get the idea.

They tried to go into just about anything, even a frogspawn wich the male got sting by and never returned to see but if they go in frogspawn, duncan and a turbinaria, I don't see why not an anemone.

They are quite dumb though, so no telling what they will do next.

I have seen ocellaris clownfish in long tentacle anemone before, so I know they can host that type of anemone although it is not their host in the wild. Both of my clownfish are captive bread so they never saw an anemone in the wild either.

Anyway glad to hear that they don't really need to be fed. I cannot put other clownfish in there as they will fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
If the anenome is shriveling up when the lights come on and moving to a low light location, your lights are too strong for it right now. It may take some time for it to get used to them, or it may never like that much light. Wherever it is located now, I would put about 3 layers of egg crate or something else to dim the lights above it.

As for it not eating in its first week, I would leave it alone until it it quits shriveling up. I typically wouldn't feed an anemone during the first week, and a lot of people have healthy anemones that they never directly feed. My anemone in my RSM130 hasn't been fed in over a year and still doing great.

Your clowns may never take to that type of anemone. Occelaris clownfish like Gigantea's and Magnificent's in the wild, so that is your best bet to get them to take to an anemone. With that said, those are 2 of the most difficult anemones to keep alive. The picture trick I have heard will sometimes work, but your clownfish may never take to the anemone. I had an occelaris pair that were in a tank for a year with an anemone and I tried every trick I could find and they wouldn't go anywhere near it.

If you want a type of clownfish that is supposed to go in almost any anemone and usually go in one quickly, get a pair of clarki's.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 PM

I thought that LTA were sand dwelling anemone?

mine does not try to climb on the liverock one bit. Are we talking about the same specie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I've been lucky with my LTA. It attached itself to a rock 10 yrs ago and has'nt moved at all from it even during several tank upgrades. Apparently they will continue to roam the tank until it finds it's happy spot. I tried feeding it when I first got it but as I said that was 10 yrs ago. So there is proof that they do not have to be target fed. The clowns will eventually host in it but that will be own their own terms. Could be 2 days or 2 months but it will happen.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I wasn't suggesting adding clarki's with the occelaris. You are right, they will fight.

I got a pair of occelaris from a fellow canreefer that was hosted by a LTA, so it can happen, it's just more difficult to do than a natural host. Mine immediately went to my RBTA's over the LTA after putting them in my tank

LTA are supposed to be sand dwellers, but that particular LTA that I got kept crawling up the rock work and had done the same thing to the previous owner. No idea why.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
I thought that LTA were sand dwelling anemone?

mine does not try to climb on the liverock one bit. Are we talking about the same specie?
Well mine has attached itself but the rock has always been on the sanded
Old 11-23-2011, 04:17 AM

The last thing I want is an anemone roaming my liverock that is full or very nice coral, so a bubble tip is out of the question. I am glad I choose the prettiest anemone they had in store so at least if the clown won't host it then it looks pretty anyway.

I am not getting rid of my clownfish either as I like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
I wasn't suggesting adding clarki's with the occelaris. You are right, they will fight.

I got a pair of occelaris from a fellow canreefer that was hosted by a LTA, so it can happen, it's just more difficult to do than a natural host. Mine immediately went to my RBTA's over the LTA after putting them in my tank

LTA are supposed to be sand dwellers, but that particular LTA that I got kept crawling up the rock work and had done the same thing to the previous owner. No idea why.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i got a lta for a great deal because it was bleavhed to almost death, i had it under a 250 w halide in the sand but against a rock.i fed it mysis every 3 to 4 days and that was it .

my ocellaris wouldnt touch it at first then the power went out while i was having trouble with the breakers(turned out my pump wires were getting water and tripping it) with no flow and the temp dropping while i figured it out low and behold there he was in the lta's tentacles keeping warm and creating its own flow...they loved each other since

it went from a few inches at the store to about 8-9" with in 2 mths
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 AM

Unfortunately the anemone i'm talking about is no longer alive. Had it in a FOWLR tank and the guy I sold the setup to crashed the tank and took the tank down. But I have a sebae anemone with pretty much the same story as what I posted earlier.