Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 AM

PEA is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Return pump just died...

So I was changing my water and turned off my return pump for my sump... Now it won't turn... I've taken it apart and it's stuck or jammed... Something seems to be wrong with the motor since it does do a very slight hum when I plug it in... So I'm thinking if I could get the motor fixed... Take it to an A/C motor shop and see if they can fix it? Or just bite the bullet and buy a new pump?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate!!! Thanks in advance...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

What kind of pump is it? How old, what was you initial cost of the pump. I know they are sealed in epoxy dont know how it would be to fix. Have to consider the impeller and magnets are all aged as well as bushings. For the hassle it may be easier to replace.

360 Reef Tank
Old 11-22-2011, 03:21 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

depends on the motor. If it's an internal, probably not worth it, external could be.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:31 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

Check your impeller to see if it is swollen look for scrape marks on it could be rubbing.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

It it's a submersible pump it may be seized due to calcification. If so, take the pump apart and soak parts in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution. If there is a lot of build-up on the magnet, a little rubbing with some Emery cloth and a wipe with some vasaline should do the trick.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:15 AM

It's a Reef-Flo Snapper... So it's external and it looks like the motor is serviceable... It's about 5 years old... I took it apart and the impeller and housing looks good, not too dirty... Spins good, except the motor doesn't work... hahaha
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 AM
bvlester

The brushes maybe worndown to the point one poped out of its holder i have had this happen on a couple motor driven tools. have them take the moteor apart and if it only needs the brushes replaced do that but anything else buy a new pump as it will not be worth repairing the rest of the motor.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEA View Post
It's a Reef-Flo Snapper... So it's external and it looks like the motor is serviceable... It's about 5 years old... I took it apart and the impeller and housing looks good, not too dirty... Spins good, except the motor doesn't work... hahaha
Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
The brushes maybe worndown to the point one poped out of its holder i have had this happen on a couple motor driven tools. have them take the moteor apart and if it only needs the brushes replaced do that but anything else buy a new pump as it will not be worth repairing the rest of the motor.

Bill
If I took apart the motor would I be able to see that the brushes are too worn out and popped out? Pretty much it was working fine, till I stopped the pump and won't spin now...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 AM

Also... I did notice some metal shavings under the pump where the shaft is exposed... Does it mean it's a goner? Or just worn out brushes / bearings?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

The brushes should be in the back of the motor, but be careful when you take it apart, the brushes should be placed in a spring loaded housing. Once you have it apart take some photos and post it, if the brushes are gone you need to find some where local that carries them. If not just contacting reeflo. If the brushes are still good check for the contact point between the brushes and the armature, if any rust is present use some emery cloth to clean it up. Before putting every thing back, check for bearing wear since there are metal shaving you might have a bearing that's gone. Also check for continuity on the motor winding, make sure there are no shorts in the motor itself, slap it back it together and see if she will start again. Best of luck.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013

Tags
how-to fix, not turning, not working, return pump