Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 AM

reefme is on a distinguished road
Default pond heater

best and reliable outdoor pond heater for 8' x 10' x 2' deep?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefme View Post
best and reliable outdoor pond heater for 8' x 10' x 2' deep?
I don't recommend trying to heat your pond over the winter. What sort of fish do you have in there? Koi, Comets, goldfish? All you should need is good water movement to keep the pond from freezing solid. I just run a pump that circulates the top 1' of water so that it is moving vigorously. The fish hang out at the bottom and slow their metabolisms down to a hibernation state.

There will be times in the deep if winter where your surface will freeze over, which is still OK so long as you have a deicer to allow gas to escape your pond.

Finally, you can also throw a hoop-house over your pond to help keep it warmer. It isn't necessary but does help a lot.

Anyway, running a pond heater all winter long would be extremely costly and doesn't really help that much at all.

My pond is more or less the same size as yours and I have successfully overwintered all my fish for 3 winters now. The first two winters with a hoop house over it, the last one without. I do plan on using the hoop house again this year as it does help the fish come out of winter sooner in the spring.

Last edited by kien; 11-03-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 AM

Hustler is on a distinguished road

I hear trout pond keepers use trough heaters the brass ones that are 110V to keep the surface clear of ice in one area..... must have giant arreration though.....
Ive seen koi survive a 6' deep pond with 2 big monster pumps running through the winter..... but i chaulk that up to luck.....
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Thank you. I've been using heater and air pump for the last 2 years, but every year have to replace a new heater. That's why I asked for a reliable heater.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

I ran a floating de-icer with a small pump circulating the warm water all winter long. Killer on the power bill but even in -35 degree temps I had open water.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I don't recommend trying to heat your pond over the winter. What sort of fish do you have in there? Koi, Comets, goldfish? All you should need is good water movement to keep the pond from freezing solid. I just run a pump that circulates the top 1' of water so that it is moving vigorously. The fish hang out at the bottom and slow their metabolisms down to a hibernation state.

There will be times in the deep if winter where your surface will freeze over, which is still OK so long as you have a deicer to allow gas to escape your pond.

Finally, you can also throw a hoop-house over your pond to help keep it warmer. It isn't necessary but does help a lot.

Anyway, running a pond heater all winter long would be extremely costly and doesn't really help that much at all.

My pond is more or less the same size as yours and I have successfully overwintered all my fish for 3 winters now. The first two winters with a hoop house over it, the last one without. I do plan on using the hoop house again this year as it does help the fish come out of winter sooner in the spring.

Thank you. The K&H deicer looked pretty durable. Just received mine today. Hope it would last more than 1 winter.