Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 02-07-2004, 05:27 PM

targaboy78 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Default 3 x 175W MH or 3 x 250W MH - what should I do?

Here's the rundown;

I have a 175 gal Oceanic Bowfront (Reef-ready)
Dimensions are 72½"L x 24"W x 28½"H

I am interested in this "type" of fixture but haven't decided on the 'horsepower'.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...ogno=zhm-hdp63
It's a 72" fixture - 3 x 175W MH 5500K with 4-55W PC for 1449.00 CDN + taxes
upgraded to 175W MH 10,000K + 189.00 = 1638.00 CDN + taxes
upgraded to 250W MH 10,000K + 364.00 = 1813.00 CDN + taxes

Here's my dilema;

It will eventually be a reef tank, but for now it will start it's life as a FOWLR. However, I don't want to be making large lighting purchases every couple of years. The height being 28½" may be a factor.

I eventually would like Soft, LPS, SPS, Clams, etc...

I have access to one of these units (3 x 175W MH 10,000K with 4-55W PC) Brand New for $900 CDN + taxes

I'd save about $549 CDN over this listed price.
more importantly I'd save $913 CDN over the 3 x 250W model.

I guess my 3 real questions are;

1> Would I be limiting myself if I stick to 3 x 175W MH ?

2> Would the depth make a difference or could corals with a higher light requirement be situated directly under the light and maybe higher on the LR?

2> Is the 3 x 250W really worth twice the price of the 3 x 175W?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:39 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

woh, mad did you ever pik a pricy set up. are you going to have a hood ontop that you could go the cheeper rout and just install it your self? you can get three 250 watt PFO HQI ballast set ups for around 500 bucks , 3 bulbs for another 3 to 400 and then another 50.00 for sockets, brackets ect.

don't even concider 175's for a 28+" deep tank (it will do for a fish only but you will be seriously lacking for a reef tank). you need the punch of the 250's and they are not that much more in cost. also you are more limited in the bulb selection in the 175watt range.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Namscam is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Namscam Send a message via MSN to Namscam Send a message via Yahoo to Namscam

hes just big pimpin
Old 02-08-2004, 12:53 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Its depends on what you want to have in the tank. Lets take a look at what you could do.
If you have 3 175 w then you are going to have to have actinics to go with the lighting more money!!!

If you have 250w you could get 2 x 250 with 20K and you have fixed the actinic problem , I would have 2x 250 w with the 20K and have a set of 40 w actinic for morning and night viewing.
no i dont know why people would go to have 3 MH where you could have 2 Mh over a 6' tank.
man i had a 400w 14 K over a 280 gal tank with my softies. It's all going to depend on what you wold like to have.

And i have also have had a 400w 6500k over my tank with 4 NO actinic

The guy would can handle this question is Doug ,Soug has had many options over many tanks. But dont get me wrong there are many peole here that have had many options on their reef tanks.

Any way there are lots or people that will try many ways on making this a cheap hobby. But that nevers happens

HTH
Old 02-08-2004, 05:18 PM

targaboy78 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78

Hi again,

StirCrazy, Makes sense about building it myself. I was only considering the 3 x 175s setup because I have access to one of these units at a great price. However, if it is not adequate and I have to go with another configuration, then that deal couldn't help me. Thanks for the info.

Namscam, YO - WORD *makes weird hand gestures, pulls pants down too far, turns his baseball cap around diagonally and wraps his arms around his chest* S'up wit dat?
- Sorry, I must be too old - I have no idea what you meant.

asmodeus, you wrote,
Quote:
i dont know why people would go to have 3 MH where you could have 2 Mh over a 6' tank.
Thanks for the insight, I didn't even know that was an option. I was under the impression that MH was only adequate for 4 square feet (a 2' by 2' area). This is great feedback.

Clearly, I am not ready to make an informed decision yet.
The whole purpose of this thread was to get a better grip on what my options are... Rather than learning from my mistakes.

Any more thoughts?
Bear in mind - I'm a freshie and this will be my first SW setup, so I am new to this whole MH lighting stuff.

Thanks in Advance.
Paul.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboy78
asmodeus, you wrote,
Quote:
i dont know why people would go to have 3 MH where you could have 2 Mh over a 6' tank.
Thanks for the insight, I didn't even know that was an option. I was under the impression that MH was only adequate for 4 square feet (a 2' by 2' area). This is great feedback.
I disagree. I have a5 foot tank and decided to only use 2 lights. That was a mistake. If you want a fully stocked reef with the ability to place things anywhere in the tank, you need 3 lights. As soon as I figure out some electrical overcrowding issues, I'll be adding a third.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Namscam, YO - WORD *makes weird hand gestures, pulls pants down too far, turns his baseball cap around diagonally and wraps his arms around his chest* S'up wit dat?

And this just about made me fall out of my chair!!
Old 02-08-2004, 06:38 PM

Namscam is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Namscam Send a message via MSN to Namscam Send a message via Yahoo to Namscam

Quote:

hahahahahahah.....

I think you've been watching too much rap music videos
Old 02-08-2004, 07:29 PM

IslandReefer is on a distinguished road
Default MH lights per foot

Just to explore the number of MH lights per foot of tank. Does anyone (Steve?) think 2x DE HQI (eg 250W in 24 or 30in water)with parallel reflectors could cover 6ft. With some FLO actinic suppliment?
Think the ends would be dark?
just 2 cents

its all about quality, not quantity.....
...when in doubt buy a Binford....
Old 02-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Just a guy..

John, my answer above applies to your tank also. Even more so if it's deeper.