Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 AM

figdish is on a distinguished road
Red face skimmer

Newbie back with more questions, received a prism skimmer from Douglas (thank you Douglas) started running this am and twice had to take water out of top where all the yukky stuff goes. Was really loud too, so know I was doing something wrong. I think I have a handle on the water flow now but still doesn't seem to be flowing as smooth as it should or maybe it's supposed to be that loud? If anyone has tips for what I am doing wrong I would appreciate. Afraid to go to bed in case I have a problem
Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

You filled the skimmer with water first??? Did you prime it properly with pinching the air intake hose off till it straightens out, the valve should be adjusted until the bubble line is around the neck. .

360 Reef Tank
Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 AM

Reefer head is on a distinguished road

umm just choke it back a bit close the suction valve a bit on the skimmer to set and those skimmers are pretty loud
Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 AM

there are 2 separate hose connections, one to prime and once primed I move it to the other. Did that and had to watch as adjustment seemed to take a coupl of hours flow is good now just loud.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 AM

I am used to seeing alot of waterflow out of freshwater filters, is the flow alot slower
Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 AM

Reefer head is on a distinguished road

What brand is the skimmer? I have a hob red sea prizim running my 10g tank and it is really loud.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer head View Post
What brand is the skimmer? I have a hob red sea prizim running my 10g tank and it is really loud.
it is a red sea skimmer but since turned flow down doesn;t seen to be as loud. guess flow doesn't apply like frestwater. Hope all it well in morning
Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM

Douglas is on a distinguished road

Hey Figdish, They are a little noisy, but when adding more, and more equipment to a tank,.....it's noise that you've never experienced before. Once it settles down a bit, it'll quiet down. But it will help the tank. As long as there are no air bubbles in the intake pipe, and the pump is only pumping water. It should quiet down.(a bit). Did you try the light? Any better that your original?