Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Default Senior Citizen Fishes

This fall marks my first tank's 4th full year and I realized I still have 6 fish that have been with me since Day 1. A PJ Cardinal, Coral Beauty, Foxface, SF Tang, Yellow Watchman Goby, and an Ocellaris Clown. The Tang and the Foxface have since been moved over to the big tank but the other four remain in their original home.
I would love to hear about your old timers: I know some of you have fish over 10 years old.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Until my sw disasters last fall, I had several fish (ie. Purple tangs, YTs, Porc. puffer) that we've had for several years.

In the 210g I have a couple YTs for at least 7 years, and 2 Regals probably 5.

Flameback angel & yellow wrasse probably at the 4+ mark.

A lot of my fish though were bought from other reefers so many have probably been in captivity for 5-10 years.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

My oldest are my clowns had them were the first fish i bought about 4 years ago. Still yet to breed for me though.

360 Reef Tank
Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

About 4 & a half years for mine and female Maroon (purchased as a juvenile) has been in there since shortly after set up. Blue Devil Damsel added at the same time died about a year ago. One of my Mandarin Dragonets has also been in there since it was a juvenile 4 years ago. Yellow Tang & Singapore came with a used 65 I purchased 3 years ago, no idea of age while with original owner. More recent additions are another juvenile Mandarin & Yellowtail Damselfish.

Don't really consider any of them senior citizens, but with a little luck, who knows. Female Maroon has had a partner for 3 years now & they're spawning away fairly consistently.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 AM

Raven34 is on a distinguished road

9 year old scopas tang. Lived through all my newby mistakes wipout cases of both ick and velvet. Not great to look at but she is an old friend to say the least.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:21 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Oldest I have are a Blue Tang and Ocellaris Clown pair. 6 years in captivity. Three with me three with previous handlers. Clowns get jiggy with it at least once a year.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:39 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

I have seen a 17 (!) years old yellow tang. was not mine though. This was few years back i wonder if it still alive. Fish was very happy in 300 gal tank back then.
i don't know if YT can live that long but i was told it was that old.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I have an 11 year old yellow tang. I got it from a friend who had it for 9 years, and I've had it for 2.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Purple tang is coming up on 9 years, and though I've lost and replaced some clowns over the years pretty confidant there's a clown from about the same time.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

My ocellaris clownfish "pair" is probably the longest "couple of fish" I've had at this point, since 1998, had them from the beginning .... the only problem is, they are not the original male and female anymore. The current female was once the male, but his female jumped out of their tank .. in .. um .. 2001 or 2002. So in fact they might still be the oldest fish I have anyhow as the next oldest fish, who may be my longest individual, is my desjardinin tang whom I bought in 2001 if I recall correctly. If not 2001 then early 2002. And for some reason I'm thinking my current female might have been a replacement male but I can't for the life of me remember what might have happened to transpire to need a new male, ie. whether it was the original male lost or the original female. It's been that long, apparently.

Up until about a year ago (I think? Maybe a bit longer now?) my oldest fish had been my sixline wrasse whom I had also had since the late 90's. Unfortunately though he found the magical portal to the reef in the sky.