Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default New to Can Reef and SW

Hi everyone, new to site, just checking things out. New to hobby, have a 55gl reef tank up and running since April this year. Have had some newbie problems but tank is running well now! Was at red corals frag swap and grand opening, good turn out but too shy to chat with anyone. We only picked up some live rock and a couple of pumps that day. Look forward to chatting with anyone willing to answer my newb questions...lol. Cheers!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:55 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Hi everyone, new to site, just checking things out. New to hobby, have a 55gl reef tank up and running since April this year. Have had some newbie problems but tank is running well now! Was at red corals frag swap and grand opening, good turn out but too shy to chat with anyone. We only picked up some live rock and a couple of pumps that day. Look forward to chatting with anyone willing to answer my newb questions...lol. Cheers!
welcome great site alot of friendly peeps with alot of professional knowlege any questions just shoot and im sure youll get lots of responces
Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Welcome to Canreef.....and good to to see you made your way to the site..... like Denny said......lots of good advice and people here.....dont hesitate to ask
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

welcome to Canreef
Like everyone will tell you never be shy just ask away and you will receive not one but many answers...
Remember this
have fun enjoying the hobby

Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 AM

Thanks! No questions today....lol. I try to read first then ask...find some forums have same questions asked over and over so will try to avoid this! But will ask if it's allowed, good lfs in Calgary? I've been to all of them and good and not so great...bought some pretty pricey corals, hoping to find something more reasonable, big ones are stressful!!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:04 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

tell us a bit about your tank what you have what your going for kinda thing starting a tank journal is a great way to meet new people and show off the goods
Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 AM

Well, right now I love this hobby, I've taken over the tank...lol so here goes...
55 gl, 59 lbs rock-started with 20 lbs lr, added 10.5 and 29.5 dry rock 2 weeks ago,
skimmer, tunzal filter (no sump yet), vortech mp 10 and 40, koralia 750.

Livestock-1 of each bangaii cardinal, purple dotty back,blue green chromis and yellow tang(yes I know about the tang got him for algae), had a false percent clown but he jumped on sept long weekend.

Have a lrg frogspawn, green bubble, button, fox and pink goniopora coral. I liked the goniopora but read about it after so I'm worried, but so far is doing well.

Tank parameters are salinity 1.026. Ph 8.3, calcium 460, kh 8, phosphate 0.25, nitrate 0.
Lights - 2 t5s and LEDs.
I think the phosphates are up due to live rock, coraline algae is showing up, dry rock is flourescent yellow green right now.

Oh nd great clean up crew and unknown red crab, not sure what it is, no one has been able to I'd yet.
I will post pics later.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 02:25 AM

Oops ... Tunze skimmer, fluval filter...
Old 09-16-2011, 03:21 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Oh my the "T" word in a 55G

Better watch out who you tell that to there are a lot of expressive individuals who like to decide whats right and whats wrong.

Welcome to Canreef! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask on the board (or pm). This site has lots of questions beat to death, but its still alright to ask them. This site is about people helping people in this very beautiful and rewarding hobby.

As for the gonipora I had good sucess with reef roids, but many of them only last a year in captivity (some last much much longer though, so cross your fingers)

Last edited by Wayne; 09-16-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

WELCOME!!!!

Watch out for the dreaded Tang Police!!! haha

They call it addiction for a reason...