Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road
Default Tunze VS VOTECH

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...rbulence-video

ok gust some comparison, I know there is some data telling Tunze is below there reading, however I have to agree with what the video shows.

the Tunze is more under pressure vs vortech, resulting the tunze pumps whatever flow thy have, clearly shows that that flow makes it to the other side of the tank.

the votech on the other hand has more flow as thy claim, but this flow shows clearly to disappear as soon as it gets resistance from present water in the tank.

comparing it with a needle ore a stump point, I know what makes it further into something.

thing is that compare it with a long thick rod (the stream of the tunze) all the surface of that rod is moving one direction, creating friction with the surrounding.

meaning that if the pump is rated for 2000 gph, it in fact can move much more, because the stream itself creates friction / turbulence

the vortech next to it is the stump point that looses its power under its own power, and as a stump stick in the grown, it will go in, but only if you keep pushing, ore in other words, the votech needs to run longer to mix a tank than a Tunze douse.

for the information, I don't have a tunze nor a votech, I don't criticize any findings, but this at this time is how I would se the entire comparison

Last edited by KevinK; 08-16-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

I have expressed my concerns on this test on reefcentral. The equipment used for the test was not appropriate. Further more, they did not eliminate a number of uncertainties that they equipment used will provide.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Sorry, I posted before I read your link. I was referring to a different study (the one put on using the FlowTracker as the measuring device).

Last edited by DAVE; 08-16-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

pretty interesting stuff......well not really but good to know....sort of.

Tunze or Vortech....you cant go wrong with these pumps. Myself I prefer the Tunze pumps but that's just me.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:20 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road

I don't care about any tests..going to have to try to pry my vortechs out of my hands.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

No thanks...
got mine full of tunze's
Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

I think the obvious answer here is to choose the pumps that are best suited to your tank size & shape, perhaps it's a combination of the two. For eg. my tank is almost cubed at 30x24x24 so the slower broader flow of the vortechs makes sense for me (I've got an MP10 on the back wall and an MP40 on the side wall). I need the flow to fan out quickly after it leaves the pump. In a longer tank maybe you'd want the punch of a Tunze to get water movement further into the tank.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostafew View Post
I think the obvious answer here is to choose the pumps that are best suited to your tank size & shape, perhaps it's a combination of the two. For eg. my tank is almost cubed at 30x24x24 so the slower broader flow of the vortechs makes sense for me (I've got an MP10 on the back wall and an MP40 on the side wall). I need the flow to fan out quickly after it leaves the pump. In a longer tank maybe you'd want the punch of a Tunze to get water movement further into the tank.

Agreed, both pumps provide a benefit in the right systems
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostafew View Post
I dont feel thats the answer at all...lol
as this test was essentially to see which pump was "better" on an equal playing field in a direct peer to peer comparison.

You make a good point, but it's certainly not the obvious answer here...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Interesting video!

I think it comes down to that gph is maybe not the best metric to use, it may tell us what's passing through the pump head itself but not what's going on in the tank, which is going to be affected by a myriad of other variables (size, shape, structures, etc.) Maybe velocity is a better metric..