Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Which brand of Sea Salt is BEST for Reef Tanks???
D-D H2Ocean Pro Plus Salt 33 22.15%
Instant Ocean Sea Salt 84 56.38%
Seachem Reef Salt 11 7.38%
ZEOvit Reefer's Best Coral Reef Salt 19 12.75%
Tunze Reef Excel Lab Marine Salt 2 1.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road
Default Best Sea Salt for Reef Tanks?

I'm curious to see which brand of Sea Salt is best for reef tanks. I've used a couple brands so far, one caused brown diatoms to break out, so I ended up switching back to the salt I was using previously. However I've recently found out that the brand I use has low concentrations of the essential trace elements (Calc, Mag, etc).

Which brand of Sea Salt contains the actual trace elements that they claim to replenish?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Aquavitro made by seachem is the only salt I know of that is individually batch tested.... So that is the only one I would trust the numbers on the bucket..... That being said, I personally use H2Ocean( 3 years)
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

The trouble is that we all depend on the manufacturers to tell us what's in the salt and they all claim to be the best. You won't have to look far to find a reefer that prefers any one of the brands that you have listed. As the results start coming in, I expect there will be votes for all of the salts (or at least most).

I've seen studies that compare various salt brands and they appear to identify a leader. However, there are criticisms of the studies that show errors in the testing methodology and biases. They are also outdated as new salts have come onto the market.

Even a salt water analysis on a small sample can show very different results than what the manufactures claim. For that matter, the salt at the top of the bucket is likely different from the salt at the bottom of the bucket. When the manufacturers mix in large batches, results will vary.

You also really need to define what criteria make a salt “good”. If you are supplementing calcium, then high levels of calcium might not be a big deal to you. You might look for trace elements instead. If you aren’t supplementing calcium then that same salt might be problematic.

I like “Royal Natural” salt. You didn’t list it on your poll, but if you look around I am sure you can find it. I like it because the manufacturer claims that it is the best, so I assume that it is at least adequate. More specifically, it mixes cleaner than any other salt that I have ever tried. It mixes so quickly that it generally doesn’t even hit the bottom of my mixing barrel.

- Brad
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

I use instant ocean. I dose kalk. My sps are growing well
Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I use Reefer's Best, it's a great salt. It's 100 bucks a box. IO is also a good salt, it costs half that. I'm probably going to switch. Used IO for years, never had a problem with it.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Reef Crystals here. Considering a trial of the Royal Nature as I am sick of the nasty film/crust/sludge left behind.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

The Poll is a bit unclear. Best Price? Best Quality? For me I am using Instant Ocean for the price and I am dosing regularly.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Reef Crystals here. Considering a trial of the Royal Nature as I am sick of the nasty film/crust/sludge left behind.
Maybe your salt is exposed to moisture and the precipitate isn't dissolving
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

I was using IO until I read an article in RK magazine that tested several salt brands and found IO to be very high in the heavy metals, hundreds and thousands of times higher than NSW.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_stir View Post
I was using IO until I read an article in RK magazine that tested several salt brands and found IO to be very high in the heavy metals, hundreds and thousands of times higher than NSW.
cant trust everything you read. you never know who's paying this magazine to write this article.

there are many people that use IO and even if these heavy metals do exist, they dont seem to harm anything in the tank