Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 AM

swill is on a distinguished road
Default Protein Skimmer for a 300 gallon FOWLR

What would you suggest for a skimmer for a 300 gallon FOWLR tank?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:03 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Vertex IN series for price point, good skimmer but a but noisy. Alpha cone 250 and the 300 are mid to high end skimmer with a price tag just over the thousand mark. Then there is the bbk super marin 250 or 300, now your are almost into the couple of thousands but you get what you pay for, amazing skimmers.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 AM

syncro is on a distinguished road

SWC 250?

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/i...products_id=33

I've read good things about the small 120 and 160 versions (see posts on canreef and reef builders). Canadian company.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 AM

I have read that the C skim 1800 by red sea is easy to maintain and user freindly as well as being effiecent. Has anyone used or is using this and have any pros and cons.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
I have read that the C skim 1800 by red sea is easy to maintain and user freindly as well as being effiecent. Has anyone used or is using this and have any pros and cons.
honestly, from the pics, it looks neither user friendly, easy to do anything with, and doesn't appear to be anywhere near the currently accepted designs in efficient skimmers. It is, however, inexpensive.
Really, for a 300g tank, I'd imagine you should double that amount for your skimmer budget, at least (if buying new).
Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

I have seen some great results from the skimz units. A friend of mine has a 250 gallon reef system and he is running one of these units. It started pulling skim mate out the first day and has never had a problem. They seem to be under 500 for a u it that would work for your system
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Ok I will chime in here since I have used pretty much every type of skimmer on the market.

Its for 300 gallon tank some few questions ok.
Fish load?
How much you are going to spend?
what type of skimmer?
in sump
External
do you want a small foot print in the sump or does it matter?
can it be loud?
quiet?
where is the Skimmer going to be?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 PM

It is going to be a predator tank not sure of the fish load at the monent but I do know that I wont have a cleaning crew as they would just be food for the fish lol. I would prefer to have an in sump skimmer more just for the fact that if it starts to leak it is contained. I would like it to be somewhat quiet but it doesn't have to be silent some noise is ok. I dont mind spending money on a skimmer but the cheaper the skimmer the more cash I have for the fish.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The best skimmer for you will be the one that fits the space and the budget you have that gets the job done. I don't know if any of us can tell you what that will be...

However, a used Precision Marine Bullet 3 like what I bought could probably work for you. Together with a used Iwaki 70 pump I paid about $500 and it does an excellent job on my 230gal system. Eventually I plan to use it on a 370gal upgrade. Presently I have 9 fish including a +2' moray and a dwarf lion. The downside to this skimmer is the pump draws 2.9A and is a little bit loud. I can still hear a Tunze 6105 over it and its not as loud as my cooling fans but its probably still louder than most skimmers.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-23-2011, 05:47 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
It is going to be a predator tank not sure of the fish load at the monent but I do know that I wont have a cleaning crew as they would just be food for the fish lol. I would prefer to have an in sump skimmer more just for the fact that if it starts to leak it is contained. I would like it to be somewhat quiet but it doesn't have to be silent some noise is ok. I dont mind spending money on a skimmer but the cheaper the skimmer the more cash I have for the fish.
yes the Bullet is a champ and will pull alot of crap out of your tank. I have owned many types of skimmers and I can say that you need your water clean you go to ta Beckett. END OF discussion.

for a Pred tank you want to keep that water clean all the time. remember with a Pred tank you are going to get alot of waste in the water so a Beckett will pull the crap out before it starts. Lots of people use Ozone too with the becketts. ti power the water cleaning too to help keep the water clean. However using Ozone you will see that ammonia turns to nitrites faster and then to nitrates faster so then you will see a climb in your nitrates.

Another good skimmer is the Vertex 300 is you are looking for a skimmer that will stay in your sump depending on the size of your sump too. They are a cone ran with a dual RD pump 1500 and a 1000 so you have to look at the footprint too.

with a FOWLR/Pred tank go slow so you should drop the money on a skimmer first hand fish can come later lots of people are unloading Pred fish fairly cheap too.