Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Puratek RO/DI Cartridge Question

So I have a Vertex Puratek RO/DI unit. I had problems with it in the past which are now fixed. I did a water change on the weekend and now the built in TDS meter is showing 01PP. I chaged all the cartridges and the membrane in the beginning of Jan. I think this is a little early to be reading that. Yes/No? I really dont want to be buying a new membrane this soon. Would just changing the sediment filter be enough? The unit is filtering approximetely 50-60G a week. I could be just worrying too soon. I hope so, quit my job and now a poor student until mid Jan.

Last edited by Madreefer; 07-19-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

If it is starting to rise then the di resin is becoming exhausted. The ro membrane should be good for a few years. I like to use the colour changing di resin so i know when it goes from blue to brown it is starting to become exhausted.

360 Reef Tank
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
If it is starting to rise then the di resin is becoming exhausted. The ro membrane should be good for a few years. I like to use the colour changing di resin so i know when it goes from blue to brown it is starting to become exhausted.
Really? I just changed all of them in the begining of Jan. My DI resin in the cartridge is kind of brown in color and only 1/4 of it has changed color to a darker brown. Thats chitty if i'm only gettting 7 months out of it at 50-60G a week.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Really? I just changed all of them in the begining of Jan. My DI resin in the cartridge is kind of brown in color and only 1/4 of it has changed color to a darker brown. Thats chitty if i'm only gettting 7 months out of it at 50-60G a week.
1400 gallons isnt bad - if you arent flushing before you restart your ro then you are pushing 100+ TDS through the DI resin and exhausting it quicker. everytime you restart your RO have the water from the ro membrame (before the resin) empty into a bucket for 5 minutes. this will flush the membrane. just for chits and giggles check the tds of that water