Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road
Default 25 gallon questions

i know its not really a nano but, im downsizing from a 90gallon, i have a 1 bulb T5 and was going to use an HOB filter, any other suggestions for me??

it will just be two clowns, anemone, leathers, mushrooms, maybe some zoas and a galaxy coral
Old 07-18-2011, 04:37 AM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

Yes 25gals is a nano. Speaking from personal experience 1 bulb wont be enough. You will need at least 2 T5 bulbs over that tank. Over my 28gal long I had 2x39T5HO bulbs... Is yours a High output T5 or normal T5? Anyway, I had 2 bulbs over mine and I could only keep softies and some lps. The lps had to be high in the tank close to the light.
I am almost sure nems need more lighting. Everything else should be fine with 2 bulbs. The galaxy coral may or may not be happy. LPS can be touch and go unless high up close to the light in a system like that.

An HOB wont provide enough flow. I asked about that before because thats what I was going to do. You will need a powerhead for more flow.

Invest in a skimmer unless you are definitely doing religious WC's

Pretty much everything is the same as a larger tank but you just need to be more careful as things happen much faster in a smaller system than in a bigger system. It takes a lot to keep it stable compared to a larger system.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I would go with a 4 bulb T5HO for flexibility with color.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyg_99 View Post
i know its not really a nano but, im downsizing from a 90gallon, i have a 1 bulb T5 and was going to use an HOB filter, any other suggestions for me??

it will just be two clowns, anemone, leathers, mushrooms, maybe some zoas and a galaxy coral

turn your hob into a fuge but dont really count on it for anything else,your nem will def need more light.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 AM

I agree with the lighting. I had a 2 bulb fixture but I recently upgraded to a 4 bulb and I LOVE it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skabooya View Post
I agree with the lighting. I had a 2 bulb fixture but I recently upgraded to a 4 bulb and I LOVE it.
Do you have any before and after photos i went to ai and they said a two bulb would be fine so thats what i ordred
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM

2 bulb is fine for the easy care softies and the hardy lps IF you put them high up in the tank. I though it was enough too. I actually got another 2 bulb fixture (thus making 4 bulbs over my tank) so I could keep higher light macro algaes like sargassum and photosynthetic gorgs. It also gives me a much better selection for bulb combinations If I want more growth or more fluorescence, etc. I can pretty much do what I want now.
I would suggest reasearching nems some more. I dont think you 2 bulb fixture is going to cut it depending on the nem.
My tank thead is in this section. (skas 28 macro algae display) Just under this one
Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM

i think im just going to stick with the 2 bulb for now, i do have an additional 1 bulb i can slap on if i dont think there will be enough light... i would like a nem but i think it will just have to wait a bit