Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Jenn_737700 is on a distinguished road
Default What to do with an evil clown?

I just returned from a trip to find my fire shrimp missing a leg. Not the greatest thing to come home to. I watched the tank a while and saw one of my clowns ( the male ) nipping at the shrimp. This isnt his first evil act. He also bites at the candycane coral from time to time, and practically tore my featherduster to pieces two monthes ago. What should I do with this evil clown?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_737700 View Post
I just returned from a trip to find my fire shrimp missing a leg. Not the greatest thing to come home to. I watched the tank a while and saw one of my clowns ( the male ) nipping at the shrimp. This isnt his first evil act. He also bites at the candycane coral from time to time, and practically tore my featherduster to pieces two monthes ago. What should I do with this evil clown?

I would say its time for an agressive tank for him... Or ensure that his fav spot is clear of anyother corals maybe hes just protecting his home
Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

How big is the aquarium if its too small he may just be getting territorial. In which case a bigger home is the best option.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:59 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

what kind of clown is this?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 AM

syncro is on a distinguished road

Feed more?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 AM

he's a false percula, and captive bred im pretty certain. I've got him in a ten gallon with a few other fish and corals. He eats a lot at feeding times, so im sure he isnt biting out of hunger. It might be a territorial thing, but it just never showed until the featherduster incident. I dont blame him for that, because it ended up right in his favourite swimming place Anyway, the candycane and shrimp nipping only started a few weeks ago, and both had been in the tank for a month or more. I'll definately keep a bigger tank in mind. Although I dont really have the money, room or time for another...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

maybe he's trying to tell you that he wants a lil anemone to call home
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM

clk666 is on a distinguished road

ill totally take him off your hands! lol that could be a solution! :P
Old 07-12-2011, 02:53 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

If the pair is in a 10 gallon with other fish, I would be concerned about the other fish. More than the pair of clownfish in that size of tank is overstocked and is going to cause undo stress on everyone.

The clownfish's size of territory would be around the size of the 10 gallon tank, so anything in there that is doesn't like, it may move/destroy. I would avoid an anemone in that size of tank as it just isn't big enough. Get yourself a clay pot and you will probably see eggs after a while, depending on their age, and if you get rid of the other fish.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM

yeah, the clowns are with other fish, but surprisingly, they dont seem to mind them. Okay, here's what I have:

2 clowns
1 tailspot blenny
1 neon goby
corals: zoas, torch, candycane, mushrooms, duncans, 1 coco worm, pulsing xenia, and an unidentified neon green and brown something.
1 large fire shrimp

The only disputes are the male clown with the shrimp occasionly and the candycane. And the female clown sometimes picks a fight with the blenny. But they dont nip at each other. The goby is basically ignored the clowns, but is friends with the blenny.

@clk666: Yes, I have considered selling them, so if things dont get any better I might send you a pm if you really want them...

@ponokareefer: haha I seriously wouldnt doubt the egg idea. I just wouldnt have time for it