Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-27-2011, 08:57 PM

born is on a distinguished road
Default Bubble Magus 180cs cone skim problem

So my skimmers been going crazy for the past couple days.
Ive been dosing medication for ich, and one of the things was to shut the skimmer off. So I did, but after trying to turn it back on, it has been bubbling over and going crazy with foam.
Its sitting in just over 8inches of water, and I had it at the "3" setting always. And no matter what setting it overflows/foams outta control.
Ive tried cleaning every little part of it but its still goin nuts, any ideas??

Im goin on vacation tomorrow night for a week, so i kinda need to get this solved asap.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Just let it overflow into the sump for now.... It should settle down after a while..... Hopefully before you leave for vacation....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM

I let it overflow for a little while but didnt seem to settle. I have work tonight, so about 8-9hrs of overflowing should settle it. But if it doesn't settle, any suggestions?? I noticed algae growth with the skimmer being off. And for a weeks vacation I'll be scared to see what the tank will look like when I get back.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Off topic, but I hope your not dosing your tank for ich with LR and coral in it?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

It could take a couple days for it to settle down..... Not what you wanna hear I'm sure but....... I suppose you could try a large water change, that may help.... The solution to pollution is dilution
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Will do. I can get my fish sitter to watch the skimmer, and worse comes to worse get them to do a water change, thanks.

And im trying this hertana chemical from RC. Did some research on it, and talked to Kevin which he said its Reef Safe.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

Use carbon to remove the product thats causing the excess foaming action.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

pull off the air line and venturi and clean them out in super hot ro di water. try to clean them every 1-2 months. as soon as you start needing to adjust the the skimmer its probably because of the venturi and air line. salt and crap builds up there super fast.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:18 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

What I did that worked for me was raise my skimmer a few inches in the sump on some eggcrate to the point that the skimmer didn't overflow. After a day the bubbles stayed way down in the chamber so I lowered it back down to it's usual level and all was back to normal again.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 AM

Ryanst is on a distinguished road

When I dosed red slime remover my skimmer went crazy and adding carbon didnt seem to help so I turned the skimmer down as low as it would go and when the cup filled up (every ten seconds to start) I would dump it and i kept doing that till it was back to normal which took about 2 hours. Just remember to add saltwater back in you tank becuase you will be taking out lots of water.