Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM

delo978 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help for setup

Hello all, so a friend of mine gave me a deal I couldn't refuse....an upgrade to a 90 gallon tank. Now the tank, sump and skimmer I'm quite familiar with however, the lighting is metal halides which I have never dealt with. It's a dual hang from ceiling 250w system (one ended bulbs) and I'm inquire on a specific setup. I'm looking for max growth but I also want it to look good....yes I'm demanding. My thoughts initially were 2 10k bulbs with a 4ft dual actinic T5 bulbs setup. I did some research on this forum and other to get as much info as possible and seen some pics which confused me a little which is why I'm posting for more info. In some systems the 10k bulbs had all the blue I was looking for and in some tanks the 10k made the tank look yellow. Are there brand names that just have more blue to them than others? If so which one so I can save cash on buying a 4ft T5 setup. Or do I just get a 14k have have the color with decent growth. I plan on getting lots of SPS if that helps sway your input.

Thanks for your help
Cheers
Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 AM

Magma is on a distinguished road

The higher the K rating the more "blue" it will be, that being said, corals need a mixture of both to get optimal growth and colour.

I have a T5 setup which has 4 bulbs
2 x 12k
2 x 20k True Blue Actinic

I think with MH bulbs most people use them for the 14K range and then use the Blue T5's for moonlights/growth as well.