Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Move over every other system monitor! (Check this out!!!)

I think I'm in love. Apparently seneye is a montoring system that can do:

free ammonia (NH3)
pH
light monitoring
temperature
water level
LUX (lx)
photosynthetic active radiation (PAR)
kelvin (K) - Light colour temperature

And all for the low price of $190!!! Check out the Advanced Aquarist article.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

the graphs on the iphone for each parameter is awesome!

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Looks really interesting! I'm curious how it will measure most of those parameters while only being placed at a single spot in the tank though.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

i assumed the owner would have to move the monitor around to get different readings
Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

While I really like the idea that someone is finally offering something of this nature that can run on a PC instead of it's own separate interface, I'm not sure this is all that useful in the end. I don't currently own a controller (more features than a monitoring device) and much prefer simple thermometers and test kits to check pH, ammonia etc. Aside from temperature & maybe water level monitoring virtually all the other parameters this thing provides data on are generally one time or occasional requirements only. The only time I ever checked for ammonia was during tank start up/cycling. With regular maintenance & observation, I don't see why constant ammonia monitoring would be required. Same goes for all the light measurements, lux, par, kelvin. I mean once you've set up your fixture and have it dialed in, where's the need to monitor constantly. I suppose it will help indicate when MH or T5 bulbs need replacing, but with LEDs becoming the norm and their longevity, again daily monitoring is a waste of time. I stopped chasing pH numbers a long time ago, live with the daily fluctuations as my livestock doesn't seem to care either. Finally, monitoring parameters is one thing, but being able to do something about certain shifts in these parameters usually requires a controller if you're not around to do so yourself. So I go on line remotely and this thing tells me my pH is out of whack or PAR reading tells me the lights may be off. I still need to either get home or phone someone to correct the issue in my absence.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
While I really like the idea that someone is finally offering something of this nature that can run on a PC instead of it's own separate interface, I'm not sure this is all that useful in the end. I don't currently own a controller (more features than a monitoring device) and much prefer simple thermometers and test kits to check pH, ammonia etc. Aside from temperature & maybe water level monitoring virtually all the other parameters this thing provides data on are generally one time or occasional requirements only. The only time I ever checked for ammonia was during tank start up/cycling. With regular maintenance & observation, I don't see why constant ammonia monitoring would be required. Same goes for all the light measurements, lux, par, kelvin. I mean once you've set up your fixture and have it dialed in, where's the need to monitor constantly. I suppose it will help indicate when MH or T5 bulbs need replacing, but with LEDs becoming the norm and their longevity, again daily monitoring is a waste of time. I stopped chasing pH numbers a long time ago, live with the daily fluctuations as my livestock doesn't seem to care either. Finally, monitoring parameters is one thing, but being able to do something about certain shifts in these parameters usually requires a controller if you're not around to do so yourself. So I go on line remotely and this thing tells me my pH is out of whack or PAR reading tells me the lights may be off. I still need to either get home or phone someone to correct the issue in my absence.
All very true. I also stopped testing long ago but mostly because it was too much of a PITA. At times though I wish I also had something that could actually tell me all of those things so I can diagnose problems and dial in my system. And I agree that it isn't a controller and actually fixes the root cause, knowing this information is half the battle...

And for people like me who have severly limited working budgets and can afford a high tech tank, though I aspire to, having a tool like this at my disposal for only $190 is pretty freaking sweet. I can take par measurement, track temp, pH and NH3 real time like the big kids... And once I get a chance to figure out it's programming, which I guarantee you is not complicated, I could build myself a 8 circuit controller for about $40.

It's just nice to see a "high end" tool that's affordable to poor shmucks like me.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Wow, i'm impressed. Like others have said, nitrate/Phosphate would be nice. But this is ment for all aquariums it seems, for a planted tank this would be nice. I like it though, for 190 bucks it's cheaper than most par testers, and may give you a spectral plot graph according to the comments section.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 AM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

That lOoks awesome looks like I know what my next purchase is lol
Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I don't see anyway of controlling the tank when gone with this controller though, so will probably still go with an Apex. Otherwise, it looks like a great system.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
I don't see anyway of controlling the tank when gone with this controller though, so will probably still go with an Apex. Otherwise, it looks like a great system.
Well, it is a monitor, so you can't do a plug-n-play controller... it's not designed for that.

But the signals that board is sending to the computer are very simple. I could easily write a LabView or Processing script to piggyback off of their system to run an 8 channel controller that would cost nothing to build... and I would actually have more control options. This could easily be the first "hackable" reef keeping product.