Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Sequence Dart users?

How hot does your Dart pump motor get? Mine gets insanely hot. There is no heat transfer to the water it pushes at least but the pump motor is way too hot to the touch.

I keep reading that this is sort of normal but is it really? I really don't like how hot this pump runs. I even put a fan on it blowing laterally across the core, since the motor fan itself doesn't seem to do much by itself .. but even with that it doesn't seem to make much difference, it's still dang hot.

So .. is this really normal?

What are good alternatives to a Dart these days?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 PM

H22_TURBO is on a distinguished road

on my closed loop I run a dart, it gets warm but not that hot that I can't touch it. my oceanmotion 4way on the other hand gets too hot to touch
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Both of mine run quite hot, I wouldn't be able to touch them for very long before I'd need to pull my hand away.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Ok, that's sort of where mine sits as well. I read up comments on users and some say this is normal, others say just warm to the touch. I would guess I can maybe hold a finger to the motor core on mine for maybe 2-3 seconds max. I worry because you'd think that much heat is going cause some kind of failure somewhere ... seeing as it's NEVER turned off.

I have 2" pipe on the inlet side but there is a 90 degree bend right at the bulkhead. After that it's straight for at least 14" or so. Maybe too much pipe on the inlet?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I had a 2" inlet with a 90 to the dart, then the 1.5" out to 6 foot of pipe on the return side, and it was insanely hot all the time. To the point where I could barely touch it without screaming like a little girl. It ran constant for 4 years no issues.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 AM

Dyspnea is on a distinguished road

Is the fan motor unobstructed and clean? I give mine a puff of compressed air every once and a while. My pump is warm, I could probably leave my hand on it all night, certainly not as hot as you describe.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 AM

It's actually reasonably clean. It does get some dust over time but I've cleaned it out before. I can't blow it out with air but the first time I thought it was too hot I took the whole cover right off and wiped it all clean.. didn't seem to make a noticeable difference.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:47 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Mine's always been insanely hot. It's 3rd hand and I've been running it for 2 years.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:11 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

i have a snapper hybrid which also came with the dart impeller to convert it to a dart mine is running as a snapper now because my CL was only piped with 1 1/2 pvc but its not hot hot i held my hand on it for 10 sec and it never to to the point of uncomfortable

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

There's 2 different motors, and they run much diff. tempratures apperently. The Baldor I have is warm, but never hot. There's another motor they have that doesn't have cooling fins around it, forget who makes them, but that one apperently runs hot.