Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road
Default Bubbles in Closed Loop

Everything has been going great for about 14months then almost over night I started noticing micro bubble in my tank. I initially that it was due to increased fan speed over tank(not). The bubbles seemed to be coming out of the closed loop. The loop is an OceansMotion 4way run off a Reeflo Dart. I checked all the pipes and there does not seem to be anyway for air to be getting into the loop.

The only other thing I can think of is that my inlets(3 X 2inch) are getting clogged by coralline algae. When I look at the dart it looks like there is a washer that occasionally travels the length of the shaft than settles back down towards the motor side.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Joe

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Maybe re-plumb the intake of the closed loop. Any Teflon taped fittings. This happened to me a couple of times a few years ago. It's annoying I know. Glued fittings should be fine.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Has to be a very small air leak into the CL, also happened to me. Removed the CL pump and re tefloned the threaded fittings, bubbles gone.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Wrap a wet towel or cloth around the fittings one by one, if the bubbles stop you've found the leak. For the pump to cavitate and cause bubbles it would have to be VERY restricted, you would have noticed the reduced flow before the bubbles.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Try what has been mentioned... But if that fails, open up the impeller of the pumps. I've had debris stuck in the impeller vanes and it doesn't take much to cavitate the flow and cause micro bubbles.

Not theory. It happens to me all the time. My system has two OM4ways on two Darts.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

It's also possible that the intake plumbing has become more restricted resulting in a lower pressure at the pump intake, if the pressure is low enough it can actually liberate dissolved oxygen. To test for this just throttle back the pump output halfway, if the bubbles stop this is likely the issue. I've seen this happen with these pumps when people don't plumb large enough pipes and bulkheads. Untamed is also correct regarding cavitation which is essentially the same thing, a good cleaning could fix things.

If not it could also be the seal on the pump, anywhere you notice salt creep could be a potential leak.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 AM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the reply's it is nice to have the community for more than just a buy/sell board.

I will try the throttling back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
It's also possible that the intake plumbing has become more restricted resulting in a lower pressure at the pump intake, if the pressure is low enough it can actually liberate dissolved oxygen. To test for this just throttle back the pump output halfway, if the bubbles stop this is likely the issue. I've seen this happen with these pumps when people don't plumb large enough pipes and bulkheads. Untamed is also correct regarding cavitation which is essentially the same thing, a good cleaning could fix things.

If not it could also be the seal on the pump, anywhere you notice salt creep could be a potential leak.
and then work my way up from there. I really hope it is not a joint above the true union. I dreamt of Rubber Maids and total tank cleanouts last night.

** If I take apart the impeller do I need a new seal kit?

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:41 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniumJoe View Post

** If I take apart the impeller do I need a new seal kit?
Carefully remove the impeller and take a look at both seal faces, if there are any scratches, chips or uneven wearing then you should replace the seal. If after you clean out the impeller the seal faces look good take a Q-tip soaked in a bit of rubbing alcohol and clean the seal faces before replacing the impeller. Even if all looked good the seal may still leak as they don't always mate up perfectly if they've been used for a while. You may be able to buy the mechanical seal at a pump rebuilding company for about $20 rather than ordering an actual reeflo seal if that is any easier for you.