Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 AM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road
Default InWatter Stingray LED Review

InWatter Stingray LED Review

Well let me start off by saying first and foremost dealing with Bongy at InWatter has been a true pleasure, he answered every question I threw at him and was always courteous towards other fixtures that I was comparing to during my research on LED’s. Totally professional about everything every step of the way; and up front about everything as well.

I confirmed my purchase with him on May the 18th and sent him my payment via PayPal at the same time as he insisted that I not send payment until the light was ready to ship. This also included him taking the time to test everything out personally before shipping for several days.

The light arrive exactly 8 days later from Hong Kong which I considered to be very fast for shipping and the shipping was about $115 Canadian which was also very reasonable. Packaging was great as well.

First Impressions of the light
Build quality is top notch
Light is heavier than expected and very solid
Light is dead quite has fans for cooling but they have yet to come on
BOY IS THIS SUCKER BRIGHT!!!! (Running at about 50% power right now)
Great coverage over the tank dues to the way they space the LED’s out.
Controls are very easy to work
Power cords are setup in a very smart way allowing for a great distance from the tank
Adjusting the color is great can pretty much dial in exactly what I want

I tried to take a bunch of pictures of me setting up the light and such, but like an idiot I left the lens cap on so needless to say they were useless….

But I do have pictures, although they didn’t turn out the greatest so I will be taking more in the coming days….

All in all the light has more than meet my expectations, and so far I’m very impressed, time will tell if the corals and critters like it as much as I do, but I expect they will.

Stingray

TEK Light

Stingray

TEK

Stingray

TEK

Stingray

TEK

Stingray

If you have any questions or want to see something special let me know and I will do what I can.

Cheers

TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 05-27-2011, 05:05 AM

Here is a short video of it in action

http://www.denpaul.ca/SALT/INWATTERSTINGRAY.wmv
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

It looks really nice, did you have the LEDs set at full or only 50% on those pictures? I know its a long shot, but do you think you can get some par reading? Btw I would really dial down the intensity on the unit, we don't want to burn any of the corals.
Thanks for doing the review, love to see more.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

That looks awesome!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
It looks really nice, did you have the LEDs set at full or only 50% on those pictures? I know its a long shot, but do you think you can get some par reading? Btw I would really dial down the intensity on the unit, we don't want to burn any of the corals.
Thanks for doing the review, love to see more.
Absolutely agree 100%. From my own experience with switching to LED (from metal halide in fact), I had a major bleaching event due to the increased intensity of the LED light. (could also have been spectrum change, I guess, but the color temp looked around the same to me and I realize the appearance of it can also be deceiving for color temp) Lost a couple of corals in fact. LED's are very deceptive - they don't look as bright to you when you enter the room but I have a feeling that's because the light is very directional.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

So what was the total cost for the fixture?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:41 PM

All the pictures were taken with the LEDs at the 50% range. May lower them a bit as well but figured I'd start there.

Total cost including shipping, taxes, and duty would be about $1650.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Damn that's a good price, I totally would have gone that route if I had known. The fixture and the tank look great!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Sorry I don't have the ability to do par readings but they have some that they did at there site.

www.inwatter.com
Old 05-27-2011, 01:49 PM

PAR readings are here

http://www.inwatter.com/stingrayLightTest.htm