Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-20-2011, 04:31 AM

tony_3a is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery wrasse in overflow?!?!?!

So, what a shitty day this has been, I noticed my mystery wrasses is in my overflow, I have a standard 90g oceanic rr tank, it has a overflow that is 2 feet tall.

I have one idea, to fill the overflow with cheap gravel from petsmart in order to bring the fish up higher where i can see him and can net him. Anyone have better ideas than this?

Thanks
Tony
Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

Stop your main pump . Drain most of the water in the over flow. Use a small net to catch the wrasse.

Chris
Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default fish in overflow

same thing happened to me with my two mystery wrasses.took me two weeks to finally get them out and two minutes for them to go back into it.it is now their home
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Im just worried about him going down my the drain, i only have eggcrate covering it. I also have 3 90 degree elbows and he wont make it down it all the way.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:33 AM

Sea Witch is on a distinguished road

Can you cover the drain with a tea strainer or colander or some cheesecloth and weight it down with something just to reduce the water level?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Well that sucked a lot. Check on the fish once before bed and It is stuck to the eggcrate, I guess it fell asleep and then the flow pulled it up, I dont really know..... for give me for being naive. Anyways, tried to net him and i got him, started thrashing in the little net, i finally got it loose and it swam right into my 14 inch anemone, who then tried to eat him, I netted the fish again right before it got to the mouth, then it swam to the other corner of the tank under some rocks where I can just see its tail, Breathing really heavily, I cannot get to the fish tho.

Im assuming its dead, which really sucks, best looking fish ive ever had.

between the spill and the mystery wrasse gone this day sucked...... as far as fish related problems go. Also i know it could be worse, but just sucks to lose a brand new fish.

Thanks for the input anyways
Tony.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 AM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_3a View Post
Well that sucked a lot. Check on the fish once before bed and It is stuck to the eggcrate, I guess it fell asleep and then the flow pulled it up, I dont really know..... for give me for being naive. Anyways, tried to net him and i got him, started thrashing in the little net, i finally got it loose and it swam right into my 14 inch anemone, who then tried to eat him, I netted the fish again right before it got to the mouth, then it swam to the other corner of the tank under some rocks where I can just see its tail, Breathing really heavily, I cannot get to the fish tho.

Im assuming its dead, which really sucks, best looking fish ive ever had.

between the spill and the mystery wrasse gone this day sucked...... as far as fish related problems go. Also i know it could be worse, but just sucks to lose a brand new fish.

Thanks for the input anyways
Tony.

you might be okay just leave him alone for a bit hes just stressed, my 1 inch baby clown decided to take a leap into the overflow through the eggcrate down the intake past the filter socks, skimmer and was beside the return pump... hes now happy and swimming around the main display
Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Well that was right! I come down this morning and my wife goes.... Oh i see you got him out of the overflow!!!!

good morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyg_99 View Post
you might be okay just leave him alone for a bit hes just stressed, my 1 inch baby clown decided to take a leap into the overflow through the eggcrate down the intake past the filter socks, skimmer and was beside the return pump... hes now happy and swimming around the main display
Old 05-20-2011, 04:19 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

so the wrasse is OK?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with things getting into my overflow. So the solution was to cover the overflow with eggcrate and then lexan covering the eggcrate. Now nothing can get into the overflow (just enough room for water and air exchange). It also helps quiet the noise of falling water.

In the last year I haven't had anyone jump onto the overflow cover either...