Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 05-08-2011, 11:29 PM

DOMINATOR is on a distinguished road
Default ZEBRA EEL BEHAVIOUR

So i just put my new eel in my tank yesterday...i know that itll take a couple of days to adjust but hes eally motionless. I have to stare really hard just to make sure hes breathing....sound normal? Anyone have similar patterns? Should i put a feeder fish in there or skewer one and wave it in front of him fore a while??? When should he start to eat??
Old 05-09-2011, 12:00 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATOR View Post
So i just put my new eel in my tank yesterday...i know that itll take a couple of days to adjust but hes eally motionless. I have to stare really hard just to make sure hes breathing....sound normal? Anyone have similar patterns? Should i put a feeder fish in there or skewer one and wave it in front of him fore a while??? When should he start to eat??

Is it a new tank? How did you acclimate the eel?
It should have immediately scurried into the rockwork.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Default RE EEL BEHAVIOUR

LFS told me to float him/her for 30 minutes and let it go...It did scurry right for the rocks but hes staying in one place...the tank is 90 gallon, maybe three months old
Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default zebra moray

mine did the same thing-didn't eat for 4 days which is no big deal-they can go for weeks without eating.they are basically blind and go to food by smell.it will probably come out around feeding times and eat like a pig.mine will eat 4-5 clams,a couple of scallops,and a couple of prawns a day-cut them up for it as it will try to eat them whole and basically choke on them
Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LFS told me to float him/her for 30 minutes and let it go...It did scurry right for the rocks but hes staying in one place...the tank is 90 gallon, maybe three months old
Better change your LFS. If they are giving others the same advice they are killing fish. Go back there and give them a piece of your mind.

All floating the bag does is adjust the temperature in the bag to that of the tank water.

You have to adjust the salinity and the PH in the bag to that of the tank. You do that over an hour by dripping tank water in the bag.

Your eel suffered major stress but it is likely that she will survive. Good Luck
Old 05-11-2011, 03:58 AM

dunl is on a distinguished road

The more rockwork you have, the more you will also see your eel. I had a gymnothorax tile once...supposedly a very hard eel to feed. The problem, though, is that most people don't give enough cover for them, so then they are feeling very vulnerable and won't come out to eat. I saw my guy all the time.

Same with the snowflake I just got from Carmen...he's been eating since day 2 and is poking his head out here and there all the time. lol
Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

When I first got mine, he went right into the rockwork and I didn't really see him for a couple days...Now He is out quite a bit, especially at feeding time. I've been feeding mine Silverside, he goes through cycles where he'll take 2-4 large ones for a few days in a row then he may go another 3-4 days without eating, everything I've read about them states this as normal. Their eyesite isn't the greatest, he'll come right to the surface looking for food and sometime I have to tap him on the nose before he see's it, once he does though, look out, almost like a dog, he grabs the silver side and shakes it back and forth as if he's trying to kill it...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM

dunl is on a distinguished road

Speaking of which....I consider anyone who hand feeds their eel to be, quite simply, an idiot taking a risky chance. There is no way to hold the food without getting the scent of it on you, and as they can't see well, it's just a matter of time....
Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Default Re eel feeding

So what is the best technique and best food to use?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So what is the best technique and best food to use?

I use 12" SS tweezers and feed silverside.