Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 AM

Koresample is on a distinguished road
Default Coral ID and Health question

This came with some live rock I purchased and started off looking good (all green and where the thick white bands are it was darker green). I have changed my lights from PC to LED (2 X 12" Vertex Illumilux Marino Blanco). The was knocked off the rock it was initially on one night (I am guessing by one of my snails) and a couple days later started looking like this. You can see its sweepers out in this image so it is still alive, but I am not sure what kind of coral it is, or what is wrong with its health. My tank is a 6 gallon nano, 125 gph flow, 77 degrees, sg1.025, nitrate, nitrite, amn all 0, ph 8.2, 77f. I do a 15% water change every two weeks with h2Ocean salt and my lights are on 12 hours, off 12 hours. All my other corals (open brain, Acro, shrooms, frogspawn & bubble) are all doing very well. It is located near the bottom of the tank but that's only about 10" down. Help!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_2062.jpg

Toad Stool
Colt Coral
Purple Shrooms
Red Shrooms
Candy Cane Coral
Hammer Coral
Moon Coral
Copper Banded Shrimp..and growing
Old 04-09-2011, 04:19 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Looks and sounds bleached from the lighting change is it possible to place it in the shade and monitor it? Looks to me as a favia but i am not a big lps guy.

360 Reef Tank
Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Bleached favia , move it into low light and try feeding it until it gets its color back.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 AM

matinbc is on a distinguished road

I was thinking favia ad well. I have nursed a few back to health and i have always placed them in high flow high light areas and they have all bounced back well. Very well actually. It looks to me more like tissue recession then bleaching. But I should look at the picture again before I say for sure. High flow has always helped my decay with favias. I am only running t5s. So if you are running halides back them from the light a bit. Hope this helps...

I looked at the pic again and it is bleached. Looks really cool to me. But a little dose of phyto feast live every night after the lights are off for a couple hours and a bit less light will help...

Last edited by matinbc; 04-10-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: added text.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Koresample is on a distinguished road

thanks everyone. I have moved it to a shady area and turned off one of my LED fixtures. I will start spot feeding it tonight and see what happens. Vertex doesn't have the controllers for these fixtures yet so it seems that two of them at 100% are a bit too much!

Toad Stool
Colt Coral
Purple Shrooms
Red Shrooms
Candy Cane Coral
Hammer Coral
Moon Coral
Copper Banded Shrimp..and growing
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

Any news?