Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 AM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!! SUMP LEAKING

90G reef so my sump is leaking it just started this afternoon... (im unsure where) i went and moved all my powerheads point upwards and the heater into the main tank and ran to walmart to get a HOB filter (rated for 60g tank) heres my dilemma my tank stand has three doors and two braces (the doors close onto them) one of the braces must be removed in order to pull out the sump is this even possible?? or am i going to have to empty my entire display?

this is not a picture of my tank but so you have an idea its like this (the bar in the middle)
http://www.salofamily.com/troysarah/...umpFuge%29.JPG
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

That really suck Cathy, I would have to say to be on the side of caution you should empty the display. But if there is a way to brace the top of the stand on either side of the sump it could be done. If you do have to end up emptying the display I would suggest doing a little reinforcing of the top so that you could remove the center brace perminately.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
That really suck Cathy, I would have to say to be on the side of caution you should empty the display. But if there is a way to brace the top of the stand on either side of the sump it could be done. If you do have to end up emptying the display I would suggest doing a little reinforcing of the top so that you could remove the center brace perminately.
im not 100% sure if it is a brace it was bought from aquagiant and all ill get from them is "its ok" FRAK! and of course this has to happen when my fiances away, what would you suggest i reinforce it with? just some 2X4s
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 AM

Reefpins10 is on a distinguished road

It happened to me like that 10 years ago. I just emptied the sump, dried it out with towels and paper towels, then I re-siliconed the whole sump. After 24 hr, I put everything back and it was good for a few more years before I sold the whole system.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 AM

ottoman is on a distinguished road

I am not an expert, but I would think it is very risky to cut any brace. You may want to well plan ahead and install addition support first before cutting out the braces. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 AM

im thinking i might just silicone the **** out of it... from what i can tell its leaking on the pump side so far left chamber and its not a fast leak its about 1-2 gallons in like 2 hours the only thing i can think of that i have changed is i put a new magpump and its heavier than the last one but that was about 2 weeks ago now
Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

I am not sure but couldn't you have 2 pieces of wood cut at a 45 degree angle each end and have them extended 1/3 of the way from the center bracing to the sides of the stand and have them screwed permanently,then remove the center bracing.
Just a thought and i am in no means a woodworker(i know there is another word just cannot find it in my head)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:37 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Yes, if you can get a couple 2x4's that are a nice tight fit from the floor to the bottom of the tank on both side's leaving enough room for the sump you should be able to quickly pull out the sump. Make sure that everything is free & clear so that when you take out the brace you can whip out the sump fast & get the brace back in.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-06-2011, 04:38 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Are you sure the sump won't slide out with the braces in place? It must have gone in with the braces in place.. I can't believe that the stand was built around the sump.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Are you sure the sump won't slide out with the braces in place? It must have gone in with the braces in place.. I can't believe that the stand was built around the sump.
uhh yeah we got it from aqua giant and it came preassembled but the sump was in backwards so the guy had to take out the middle brace to flip the sump and put it back in theres no way to get it out, other than the back which is against a wall...