Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 AM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road
Default Sps bleaching after nem sting

I have a mystery sps that got stung when my nem went for a walk 3 of their arms are white now I moved it to a higher place and put a power head on it so it gets slot of current any other suggestions? Or is it just going to die my tanks pretty young still but it was doing fine till the nem took a walk

Last edited by cathyg_99; 03-31-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 AM

wtym is on a distinguished road

In my experience, when my bubble tip stings an SPS it always slowly dies. But, I can sometimes frag it or cut off the part that was damaged if I catch it early enough.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's an injury for sure but whether it lives or dies depends on the extent of the damage and how fast SPS grows in the system. However in and of itself, usually these things do happen, and corals do recover, it's not an instant death sentence at least.

It is better, however, to have corals outside of the sting zone of an anemone as long-term contact will indeed usually result in the loss of the coral.

Some corals don't mind contact of anemones, some do, it's a very individual sort of thing. One on my carpets routinely touchs a montipora with no issue; yet in the past I've lost corals when a BTA got too large or readjusted its position. So it's definitely a case by case kind of thing.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

+ 1 cut the part that the nem touched off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtym View Post
In my experience, when my bubble tip stings an SPS it always slowly dies. But, I can sometimes frag it or cut off the part that was damaged if I catch it early enough.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Frag off the dying part just below where it gets bad. If you don't, you'll regret it. It'll just STN and the whole colony will collapse.