Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default If it is Marine Velvet... *Updated*

So last night my mandarin just up and died from something I can't quite identify. Last weekend my butterfly died from what I thought was ich. I'm now left with two fish: a blenny and a goby.

The goby seems totally fine. The blenny has been, for the past few days, biting his tail and rubbing himself again soft stuff a little more than usual. Today, maybe because I'm paranoid, I have noticed him spending most of his time near the top of the tank (but the again he spends most of his time there usually) . They're both eating fine and neither are showing any signs of the typical "velvet" (then again, it's hard to tell on white and yellow fish).

What is your take on this? If it is velvet, should I move them to QT and medicate? Or should I observe them and see if they fight off infection on their own?

Last edited by ScubaSteve; 03-27-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

It never hurts to play on the cautious side. It is only two fish you could wait it out to see what happens, but at the same time its somethings life your gambling on.

360 Reef Tank
Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

best thing to do now is get those fish in quarantine and get your tank running fishless its a two month road for you with no fish,rasing the temp, its the only answer now, whether or not your other fish are gonna make it is a hard call, formalin is the only thing i have heard of but i have not used it and im not sure to the extent on how it works so maybe some one else can chime in for that, i know theres a few who have dealt with it on here, you could ask fishoholic she would have some advice to give you.....sorry for your luck buddy
Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 AM

frizzo1983 is on a distinguished road

My best advice is put a UV on for a few weeks thats what I did when my fish got it and it cleared up pretty quick. Just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

I don't think raising the temp will do much for velvet, but get everyone out into a hospital tank. Blennies and gobies are a little moer resistant to things like velvet so I've read, so they just might make it. When I was hit last October, my only fish that showed no signs whatsoever were my lawnmower blenny and my zebra dartfish(goby family). I didn't medicate them, just quarintine. 2 monthe fishless might be a good start, but I went 3 to be on the safe side and everything's fine today.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:09 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Here's a link to thread I started when I was dealing with velvet. Take a look through it as there is a lot of info about velvet in it and some pic.'s too. My mandarin didn't seem to be affected by the velvet but he died in QT. However with velvet all fish have to be QT'd to get the disease out of the tank, some fish have a resistance to velvet and will not show signs of it (my wrasses/CBB/mandarin) but can be carriers of the disease and give it to any new fish you add. Which is why it's important to QT and leave the display fishless for 6-8 weeks.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51938

Last edited by fishoholic; 03-27-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 PM

I don't actually know if it velvet or not. The butterfly had ich, I can say that for certain.. he may also have had velvet at the same time. The mandarin surprised me as I thught they were more immune to it than other. The mandarin had a white head... I don't know if this was velvet or if it was something else (like scratching on a rock).

Today the goby still seems fine but the blenny is quite bloated in his stomach. I don't know if it was because he over-ate yesterday (I've been feeding heavier to keep them strong), or if he's constipated for whatever reason, or if he's got something like dropsy (I think either of the former two). He's still out swimming, seems chipper but is still hanging out near the surface (which he usually does anyways).

I'm setting up a QT as I type this just in case, but I need some advice on what to do here...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 AM

apex82 is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat and lost 10 fish in a week already... Once they stopped eating they died the next day. However three died in quarantine from what I think was a chemical reaction when using dechlorinator in water with a copper treatment. I didnt know of this as there are no warnings on copper product or the dechlorinator. If you are using tap water, just let the water sit for 24 hours to leach out the chlorine(wont get rid of chloramines however if your area has them in the water). I say get em out asap, its just not worth losing new additions to the tank. I cant believe I have to go 2 months without a single fish in the tank.... crazy

Last edited by apex82; 03-28-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Sorry to say that if its really marine velvet, by the time you notice it (with white dusty spots), you have less than 50% chance of saving them even with medication. It is not like ich that can live with your fish for awhile, it will kill most and every single fish in your tank if you do not treat them properly. It kills really fast, and don't even think of using just freshwater or hyposalinity to treat them - it's not ich.
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
Sorry to say that if its really marine velvet, by the time you notice it (with white dusty spots), you have less than 50% chance of saving them even with medication. It is not like ich that can live with your fish for awhile, it will kill most and every single fish in your tank if you do not treat them properly. It kills really fast, and don't even think of using just freshwater or hyposalinity to treat them - it's not ich.
See, this is the issue... I don't KNOW this is velvet. Someone mentioned it was velvet but I don't think it is. The butterfly was covered in ich (I know this for sure) and may have had velvet simultaneously, I'll never know. The mandarin had the same tattered fins as the butterfly but did not show any characteristic signs of velvet; I believe the fin issue was the result of a subsequent bacterial infection in the butterfly that may have passed to the mandarin. But really, I don't know what caused the fin issue. The white area I found on the mandarin's head was subcutaneous, not a surface affliction. It looked as though he'd be rubbing his head or if the colour had simply disappeared from his head (apparently this can happening when they are sick/dying). Other than my blenny looking a bit itchy, there is nothing to suggest that there is actually velvet in my tank.

I did a big water change last night and found this morning that many of the blenny's symptoms of whatever it is have gone away. Both the goby and blenny seem fine.

I am confused as to what happened (besides the ich) and if it is still happening. I don't want to go and through my fish into QT and start medicating them without knowing what it is that I am supposed to be treating.