Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road
Default 1.5" PVC Sanitary T's -Where in Calgary ?

Looking for some 1.5" PVC sanitary T's to mock-up a Bean Animal overflow but I can't find PVC Sanitary T's anywhere !!!

FYI, a 'Sanitary' T is different from a plain T in that the inlet is curved in the direction of the flow.

Anyone know where I can find these ?

Thanks.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Use ABS, don't think you'll find them in PVC, they have no common application in PVC so no typical plumbing supplier will have them.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I was reading up on BeanAnimals just two days ago and noticed the same thing in pictures that the folks were using sanitary T's in PVC.

Around here, easy to find in ABS, and probably completely impossible to find in PVC. Give the folks at Western Pump a call, maybe they have something but to be honest I doubt it. Beyond that maybe some kind of irrigation supply place. Speciality PVC bits around here are hard to come by.

I did find a mail order place just now but no idea if you have to do a minimum order.
http://www.pexsupply.com/PVC-Sanitar...All-Hub-475000

Good luck.

PS. In my own FOWLR that I was about to do the BeanAnimal on, I ended up saying "screw that" and just went with a modified Herbie (two emergency overflows but otherwise is a standard Herbie). Herbie's are silent and bubble-less anyhow and I have no cause to complain about the one in use on my reef so some food for thought for you on that one.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Mark,
As long as you don't mind them being grey instead of white, I can get some to you on the weekend. Let me know,
Bob
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 PM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road

i found them at plumbers village in edmonton they also have sanitary pvc that wont leach chemicals ect. into your tank
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
Mark,
As long as you don't mind them being grey instead of white, I can get some to you on the weekend. Let me know,
Bob
Bob, I suspect that if it's grey, it's probably for central vacuum systems and the schedule will be wrong.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 PM

Mark,
I am a plumber by trade so most fittings I can get at the shop or the wholesale. If you need let me know, these are for a drainage application, not vac systems.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I ordered white PVC sanitary tee's from some site in the US. It cost me something like $3 each for the tees and $20 to ship 4 of them. Oh well.

More importantly - you should really consider an external overflow. You can still apply Bean's principals, but you might not need the sanitary tees.

On my 90g, I built the Beananimal overflow exactly as it is documented. It worked great. On my new tank, I modified it a little and built it externally.

Just a thought...

- Brad
Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
Mark,
I am a plumber by trade so most fittings I can get at the shop or the wholesale. If you need let me know, these are for a drainage application, not vac systems.
Ah. Well then you'd know, wouldn't you ! I've seen several sanitary tees that are NOT schedule 40 though so I'm wary !

Bow plastics makes a Sanitary Tee in PVC:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Bow-430017-...-Tee-4252000-p

..so they exist but they're not common in sizes under 3". I can buy 4" at Home Depot.

Unfortunately, I have all the pieces -except for the Tees- already so I'm trying hard to keep the aesthetic straight.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 AM

Mark,
Any sanitary fitting will only have a DWV rating(Drain, Waste and Vent) in other words it has no pressure application or schedule number, but will handle more than enough for our overflows. I have grey on hand, if you want white I can take a look and see what I can find. My wife will be in cowtown this weekend and can bring some in if need be.
Bob