Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 AM

yellowworld is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on moving

Hey guys, so i just got a new tank and im looking at moving everything out of my old one and putting it in this one. I have had it running about a year now and the last major change i made was when i started adding to it after the water cycled for a month.

My question is, with the new tank and everything moving over do I have to let the water cycle again or can i just mix up more water let it sit over night and start moving everything over with out problems? or have I been mis-led by everyones tank threads depicting smooth tank to tank moves

Second of all, I have noticed a few unwanted visitors in the last few months, that i dont want in the new tank?...what is the best way to get them out in the process...a nice 5 minute RO/DI bath perhaps?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

How big is your old tank and how big is your new tank
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 AM

yellowworld is on a distinguished road

The old is 35g and the new is 75G cube
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

yep, just mix more salt. my old roommate did it successfully. Or you can cycle the new tank and than when your doing a water change use as much water from your old system that you can and than transfer it over
Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

What all are you planning on moving?
If there are any pockets or areas of accumulated organic matter, you need to be careful about that.
If you have sand or rocks sitting in sand I would leave that alone and clean it separately before transferring it over.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

I would strongly consider a new sand bed so that you can get your "cloud" under control before you start moving stuff over.

Is the tank going into the same spot as the old tank or a new location?

If its in a new location I would do a few water changes and put the old water into the new tank. Then I would just quickly transfer all your rock, and live stock.

If its in the same location you will need some pails... Lots of them Everything into pails then into the new tank. If you do it this way you may not be able to lift the tank, sand, and some water onto the stand so you will have to wait for the cloud to settle... I had to do it this way and it took 6 hours with every HOB filter I had with filter floss... Cleaning the floss every 15 minutes
Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM

hound96 is on a distinguished road
Default moving

i transfered from my 90 to my 180 the only los i had was a lawnmower blenny that i accidentally crushed with a rock i had no amonia or any other spikes but when i did it i used all but the bottom 1" of water and i used that to rinse the sand i put everything into binsfirst and did my transfer slowly it took me 12 hours to get it all done then a few touch up in the morning its not tough just time consuming