Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM

tony_3a is on a distinguished road
Default 90g 4 foot upgrade to 125 6 foot, is it worth it??

Hey guys, Im having a tough time with this one.

I currently have a 90 mixed reef, and am contemplating going up to a 125, but im wondering in your opinion is it worth it?

I want to be able to keep a couple tangs or angels, something along those lines, it would be for about 2 years i would assume then something bigger.

Thanks for any input
Tony

On one more thing, do you think i could use my 6 bulb t5ho tek light for the six foot, just put it up a bit higher to cover out outer sides, i actually wouldnt think it would be that bad, the tank im looking at is double corner overflows that are black, might be kind of cool. (sorry for the wait dj drew).
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_3a View Post
Hey guys, Im having a tough time with this one.

I currently have a 90 mixed reef, and am contemplating going up to a 125, but im wondering in your opinion is it worth it?

I want to be able to keep a couple tangs or angels, something along those lines, it would be for about 2 years i would assume then something bigger.

Thanks for any input
Tony

On one more thing, do you think i could use my 6 bulb t5ho tek light for the six foot, just put it up a bit higher to cover out outer sides, i actually wouldnt think it would be that bad, the tank im looking at is double corner overflows that are black, might be kind of cool. (sorry for the wait dj drew).

It it worth it.
Ask anyone who has kept a tang or two in a four-footer and has moved up to a 6 footer.

The behaviour of the tangs is really noticeable. Instead of kinda just hanging around the tangs change to a fish that is motoring back and forth and obviously enjoying the difference. You can almost see them smiling at you and thanking you.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I didn't notice any difference in my tangs going from a 90 to a 180, although they now have room to get up to fragging speed.
But, bigger is always better, it gives more room for fish and corals to grow. 90 to 125 isn't a huge jump in volume, but does give you an extra couple of feet to add more coral. Lots of 180g tanks up for sale lately at really good prices, maybe go for a bigger upgrade
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

not worth it in my opinion. you will not be able to use your lights and get coverage and strength. now if you were to go to a 6 foot tank that is 2 foot wide then it is worth it as you get more front to back space which had more of a dramatic effect than going longer.

as for the tank.. the tank is still narrow and realy can't tunr around any better, so there is where wider is better also. people tend to try justify there getting a longer tank by saying there tangs are more happy, don't want to bust anyones bubble but tangs are a fish and have no emotions, so how are they felling happier, and how did they tell you what they are felling for that matter

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM

This is very interesting, lots of varying opinions, i would go larger, i would like the extra space, but the thing is, i live in a townhouse and this tank is in my living room against a wall, and i think a 180 would just be too big and look out of place. I guess any input on that subject would be appreciated too. Also it seems the cost of equipment goes up a lot.

Thanks again guys
Tony
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM

I am still thinking guys, any more input from anyone? I am right on the fence???

Thanks again
Tony
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Just a thought, but if I was looking at an upgrade, I would get the largest tank possible for the area I had. That being said, you figure a 180 is too large, is it the 24" width that's the problem? If your limited to an 18" width, aside from getting a custom build, your getting to a limited amount of tanks available.
A 72" 135g is already 24" deep, I think an option is going longer to an 96". If this is not an option, this tank might be the size your looking for. There is nothing worse than upgradeing just to realize you should have gone bigger. Just remember your going to increase your volume by 1/3, this is going to increase your costs as well in the future for maintainance, as well as a possibility of equipment upgrades.
Just my thoughts. An upgrade is good, but a lot of work comes with it.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'd personally only upgrade if it was both length and width. My wife has said the same before so take that for what it's worth.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_3a View Post
I am still thinking guys, any more input from anyone? I am right on the fence???

Thanks again
Tony
Sitting on the fence, eh.
Sit back and picture these fish swimming in your tank.(video stolen from amoreira)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8EDNWgfQEA

Last edited by naesco; 03-09-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I'd personally only upgrade if it was both length and width. My wife has said the same before so take that for what it's worth.
Um, this is a family show, mister!!