Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 PM

claymax is on a distinguished road
Default what kind of return pumps for a fluval edge

i plan on using 2 separate return pumps for my edge, on separate timers to sort of randomize the flow, they will be around 2.5 feet below the tank, so since the edge is only 6.6 gallons, what kind of pumps should i use? i was hoping for around 50/40x turnaroun
Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymax View Post
i plan on using 2 separate return pumps for my edge, on separate timers to sort of randomize the flow, they will be around 2.5 feet below the tank, so since the edge is only 6.6 gallons, what kind of pumps should i use? i was hoping for around 50/40x turnaroun

I'm using a MJ1200 in my edge sump, 2 ft head, it's a slower turnover though which would be good for your night time flow
Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 PM

would the MJ be able to handle the constant turn on/off of my sort of setup
Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Mines been running in that sump for more than a year now but I only turn it off once a week for WC's...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maxi jets are power heads and are often used with timers to randomize flow. I also use a maxi jet on my edge and it works fine.

One word of caution relating to your setup will be siphon. Be sure that when one pump turns off the other one won't create siphon as it will likely be more powerful than the return pump flow thus creating issues. I would suggest check valves as siphon breaks will be noisy and become irritating if they keep occurring often. However my best advice would be to eliminate the two pump idea and stick with a single pump with a single or dual output. The tank is really too small to be concerned about a random flow pattern. You will be much happier in the end if you simplify your design and stick to corals that will do well in the edge such as soft and lower light LPS, these corals do not require much flow to do well. You will also have issues pushing that kind of turnover in this tank.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM

hmmm well. is sps out of the question? i plan on doing a DIY cree led setup, and i believe that this being so close to the surface and all will give me all the light i could ever need, so i was hoping on keeping my options open by having alot of flow. however, this is my first nano so if you say so...

ya certainly check valves
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You'll have a hard time with SPS in such a small tank. I'd try some LPS first and maybe a couple small sps frags if you want. Problem is you'll have a hard time building an overflow to handle more than around 200gph in this size and style of tank. It can be done but I don't think it will be worth it as the volume is pretty small for SPS stability anyway.

Also with check valves be sure to experiment first, you'll have to use flapper style ones as they don't use metal like other types but I've only seen 1" and bigger sizes of these and the maxijet may not have enough power to move the flapper properly.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:34 AM

ya stability was the biggest concern of mine also, ive done a little research and found some low pressure, non metallic valves that might do the trick, on the internet. i hope i can find them at a hardware store, not looking forward to ordering them...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM

dacookster is on a distinguished road

I added a fuge to my edge and got a pump that could do 150GPH with a 4' head. Needless to say - way to much. So I have a ball valve nearly closed to control the flow back into the Edge. I had to install a float switch to shut the pump off in case it ever raised the water level to fast for the overflow to syphon out. Thats what sucks about the small neck of that cursed aquarium. Looks cool, but it sucks to mod and deal with!!!!