Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2011, 02:18 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Vortech Mp10/40 ecotech upgrade

I have a Vortech MP10, a Vortech MP20, a Koralia 2 and the return from the sump powering the flow in my 90 gallon. I've got the Vortech's set on reef crest mode and things have been going great, but I'd really love to ditch the Koralia altogether.

I just ordered the ecotech upgrades for my vortechs, turning my MP20 in to an MP40 w/wireless, and the MP10 in to an MP10 ecotech w/wireless. They are on opposite sides of the tank, an I'm planning on slaving the MP10 to the MP40.

Has anyone here had experience with these guys? I've got a fully mixed reef, lots of SPS and LPS, so I'm not sure what mode/what power to run the new controllers at.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

It all depends on your substrate if you have fine sand it will be blown everywhere by a mp40 on high. I have best luck in purple (reef crest mode)

360 Reef Tank
Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 AM

Are MP40s really that much more powerful than MP20s? they're the same pump, just different drivers...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

What they do is just increase the speed with new programming in the driver. Max speed with the 20's 2000 gph max speed with your your new 40 3200 gph. You will notice a increase in the level of audible noise on the dry side but it depends on the speed you run the pump at.

360 Reef Tank
Old 02-26-2011, 03:48 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I run the two MP40W ES on my 77 in the EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) at just under max power. Occasionally I'll also switch them to the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode. I upgraded the drivers to EcoSmart models some time ago and figure since I paid for the drivers with the new EcoSmart modes, why not use them? The EcoSmart modes provide the most benefit when you have 3 pumps in Master/Slave configuration, one on each end and one on the back glass. On your 90 gallon, two MP40s with the MP10 on the back glass would be ideal, then you could definitely lose the Koralia. With an MP40 & an MP10, you'll probably need to keep the Koralia going on a tank your size with SPS corals, depending on your aquascaping I suppose.

The MP20 to MP40 upgrade includes a larger power supply in addition to the new driver. This provides the added power to drive the MP40 to the significantly higher max flow rate over an MP20.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:50 AM

thanks!

I notice in your signature line that you've got 2 MP60s. I'm building an in-wall 320 gallon tank (6'x3'(34" actually)x30") in a house I'm building right now. Still trying to decide how to power supplemental flow on top of the return pumps given that the tank will be open on both long sides. All of my pumps will need to be on the far sides of the tank, so I was thinking either 4 MP40's or 2-4 MP60's

How do you have your MP60s arranged in your tank? If they're opposite each other, do you find they're powerful enough to not leave big dead spaces in the middle of the tank?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I run the two MP40W ES on my 77 in the EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) at just under max power. Occasionally I'll also switch them to the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode. I upgraded the drivers to EcoSmart models some time ago and figure since I paid for the drivers with the new EcoSmart modes, why not use them? The EcoSmart modes provide the most benefit when you have 3 pumps in Master/Slave configuration, one on each end and one on the back glass. On your 90 gallon, two MP40s with the MP10 on the back glass would be ideal, then you could definitely lose the Koralia. With an MP40 & an MP10, you'll probably need to keep the Koralia going on a tank your size with SPS corals, depending on your aquascaping I suppose.

The MP20 to MP40 upgrade includes a larger power supply in addition to the new driver. This provides the added power to drive the MP40 to the significantly higher max flow rate over an MP20.
You can slave two pumps to one master? I thought one master could only have one slave (and for all the rest of you... Get your minds out of the gutter!)
Old 02-26-2011, 04:00 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

yes you can slave multiple pumps to one master. Personally I would go with 4 40's, it will give you better placement options.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
yes you can slave multiple pumps to one master. Personally I would go with 4 40's, it will give you better placement options.
I was afraid you were going to say that.

500 bucks per pump... gulp! Save for retirement, or have an awesome tank...

good thing I'm still young!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:06 AM

Smudge is on a distinguished road

I am running 2 MP40 ES on my 150 and more than enough flow for me. Usually run them in Tidal or Nutrient Transport mode. I don't think there is a limit on the amount of slaves you can have. If in doubt go to Ecotech site and download the manual.