Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road
Default Running Carbon and Heating Question

What are you guys using to run carbon in your tanks? Right now Im just using a HOB filter but the waterfall noise it makes annoys me and I want to change. What do you guys suggest? It has to be quiet.

Also, how much Wattage is suggested per gallon of water to heat? I have a 200 gallon or so aquarium and I feel like its somewhat under heated but not really sure. Any rule of thumb for that?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

For my 50 gal and my 15 gal i have canister filters that i run carbon and phos guard in mesh bags . The canisters are almost otherwise empty and just help with flow .
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I run Kent Reef carbon in 2 bags. Each bag has .5 litre and I put one in each bubble trap area, running passively with the current in my sump.

for temp, I use a 300W heater, but use a digital thermometer... Keeping my tank stable at 78.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
I run Kent Reef carbon in 2 bags. Each bag has .5 litre and I put one in each bubble trap area, running passively with the current in my sump.

for temp, I use a 300W heater, but use a digital thermometer... Keeping my tank stable at 78.
How big is your tank global? I forget...

I have a 300W as well, but is that enough for 200gallons of water? I mean my lights add heat too of course...
Old 02-13-2011, 12:59 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
How big is your tank global? I forget...

I have a 300W as well, but is that enough for 200gallons of water? I mean my lights add heat too of course...
My Display is 180G, sump is 105G. My temp doesn't fluctuate much with only one 300W heater. so I think you would be ok. The only way for you to know is to monitor your temp.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 AM

Maybe my heater is just not calibrated or something. Its brand new like about 2 months ago I bought it but my temp still seems like it wont climb much more than 77 even when I tell the thermo to raise the temp more.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 AM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

Best way to control temperature is with a digital controller that uses a temperature measurement with heaters and coolers. That being said, I hear temperature control is not so critical. In the wild water temperature can fluctuate considerably with cold/warm currents that come in and out, as well as with rising/falling tides. I think that +/- 1 C fluctuation wouldn't cause any problems.

As for carbon, I run Rox 0.8 in phosban reactor. That stuff is the best. I buy a 5 gallon pale of it for about $260 and that lasts me a year. It keeps the water sparkling free from any yellowing organics and absorbs any pollution that would come from a household environment.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny

Last edited by amoreira; 02-13-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
pyke

Default WTB Rox 0.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoreira View Post
Best way to control temperature is with a digital controller that uses a temperature measurement with heaters and coolers. That being said, I hear temperature control is not so critical. In the wild water temperature can fluctuate considerably with cold/warm currents that come in and out, as well as with rising/falling tides. I think that +/- 1 C fluctuation wouldn't cause any problems.

As for carbon, I run Rox 0.8 in phosban reactor. That stuff is the best. I buy a 5 gallon pale of it for about $260 and that lasts me a year. It keeps the water sparkling free from any yellowing organics and absorbs any pollution that would come from a household environment.
where are you buying your Rox 0.8 I can only find it at BRS but shipping a 5G pail must cost more then the carbon?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

I buy the Rox 0.8 from BRS and shipping is around $30.00. It ends up being cheaper than buying from the local fish shop by a long shot.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny
Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

i run carbon thru a two little fish reactor seems to work well
Kent marine reef carbon and about $30 a year for 120G
oh for heat i have a 150W heater but it rarely runs the MHs keep the tank warm enough

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC