Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 AM

Earthgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmers

Hi there!!
I'm extremely new to this hobby and are just starting out with a 40 gallon cubish tank
I have had it running since last sept. Did the cycle (and coming from fresh, this was much easier!)
How many out there have a skimmer??
I do water changes diligently every 3 weeks or so (depending on the look of the duncan coral... Really good indicator of unhappiness!)
I just bought a red tip bubble aneome which I adore, but want to have the happy and healthy tank that everything deserves
Opinions appreciated!! 
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

1. Buy a skimmer at 2x the rated capacity
2. Buy what you can afford(expensive skimmers are not necessarily the best ones)
3. Ask members in this forum about skimmers that you may like...product brochures look too good
4. I prefer in sump skimmers
5. There are several members who run skimmerless
6. The difference between a good skimmer vs a bad one is that it cleans faster in the end not necessarily better
Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Depends what you want in the end... Like fencer said. SPS.. very picky coral.. its the neat freak of the coral world from what ive gathered.. my tank is too dirty for it to really take off. LPS softies like a bit of the messy stuff.. so it does well in my tank.. but this hobby and your tank are dictated by your budget... I have a limited budget, so I have no sump or anything.. check out my video link for a peek.. or you can have the infinte budget - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1811725 -- that guy in that thread has no concept of a regular pay cheque to my understanding.. amazing to see how that thing has taken off...

But back to subject.. Do what you can with what you have. Skimmer wise, most of us run a skimmer id say, just seems to help out. With what you clean out of the collection cup (makes my stomach turn) Id say most of it I dont want in my water.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM

steve fedyk is on a distinguished road

do you have a sump?

I'm building a 40g tank with a 20g sump with a vertex skimmer there fairly cheap.
See if anyone is sell one on line here, is usaly the best way to go.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Wow thanks for the info!
I know what I'll be reading tonight. That thread is long!!
I dont have a sump, haven't dealt with one since my 230 gallon stingray tank
I have a fluval and are looking at hob system
Or does anyone out there not have one and have succes with there tank??
Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

for better info, give us better info...

do you have a sump?
how much LR?
Inhabitants list?

IMO, unless you have a HIGH bioload, you should be A OK with water changes only but you miss a couple and could have a major crash.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 PM

The only inhabitant in the tank are 3 true clowns, firefish, hermits, sand star and snails
I would like other fish and get ride of one clown but I haven't determined which species yet
Ideas appreciated as well lol
No sump, fluval
Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 PM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Well, you dont have a goby or a blenny yet, look into those, see what you like. Somthing as small as a clown goby, or bigger like a lawnmower. They are good personable fish. though dont recommend a sandsifter on a smaller tank, you will spend all day everyday dusting your rocks and coral and tank will never be clear.

Also, recent pics on that huge thread I posted are on pg247 incl full tank shots.. cause that tank is amazing.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcivilian View Post
But back to subject.. Do what you can with what you have. Skimmer wise, most of us run a skimmer id say, just seems to help out. With what you clean out of the collection cup (makes my stomach turn) Id say most of it I dont want in my water.
I would never dump the skimmate that gets pulled out of the water back into the tank. Just shows that its undesirable. A skimmer is just another sort of filtration that most people would recommend, even for sofies and LPS that likes dirtier water. Shop around and get some reviews Also don't worry when you do get one and it doesn't work for a few days (or weeks). Just needs to get oils off and "break in"
Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 AM

JohnnyReeftank is on a distinguished road

I'm in almost the same boat as you. I started the hobby in September with a 35g that I converted from a FW Snakehead tank. I did a bunch of research and the majority of people seemed to like the Aqua C Remora as one of the top HOB skimmers for 30-60 g tanks. You will hear opinions either way about it but I bought one and its been working fine for me.

Just search these forums because there are tons of threads debating skimmers