Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default Question re storing gasoline for use in a generator

I got an emergency backup generator and I've never used it yet.

I've read that gasoline goes bad after being stored for too long and you shouldn't run old gasoline in an engine or generator, I don't know how true this is.

I figure about once a year I'll end up using the generator.

What is the best thing to do? I could empty the can of gasoline into my car gas tank every few months and refill the can with fresh gasoline, I don't really want to do this to my car engine.

Or just keep the old gas and run it in the generator anyways?
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM

prodogg02 is on a distinguished road

just add some fuel stabilizer to it gas used to last about 3 months befor going bad it will predetonate in the engine and can cause damage its just as bad for our car will cause engine ping
Old 02-03-2011, 06:51 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Pick up some gasoline storage stabilizer and mix that in with the gas. It will help. Only putting enough fuel in for a few hours run time at a time run it dry when finished with it.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Gasoline doesn't really "go bad". Like, it's been sitting in the ground for a few thousand years... it is long since "gone bad". Diesel on the other hand can actually get bacterial blooms in the tank and fuel lines if it sits for a long time. This can cause all sorts of hell. Is it gas or diesel generator?

The bigger worry is letting the engine sit too long. Just start it up for a few minutes every few months to give it a bit of a refresher and to make sure it does work for when power outage does roll around.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Pick up some gasoline storage stabilizer and mix that in with the gas. It will help. Only putting enough fuel in for a few hours run time at a time run it dry when finished with it.
+1. This also helps.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Do you have a gas lawnmower... chainsaw...weedwhipper...snowblower....Just leave the generator tank empty until needed. Use the gas you have for the other small engine things you have..I'm sure that gas gets replenished on a regular basis. And as the other said run dry when done.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Gasoline doesn't really "go bad". Like, it's been sitting in the ground for a few thousand years... it is long since "gone bad". Diesel on the other hand can actually get bacterial blooms in the tank and fuel lines if it sits for a long time. This can cause all sorts of hell. Is it gas or diesel generator?

The bigger worry is letting the engine sit too long. Just start it up for a few minutes every few months to give it a bit of a refresher and to make sure it does work for when power outage does roll around.
Off topic but you do realize that gas and diesel are all refined from the same oil don't you? Biocides are used in both as far as I know.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post

Hate to correct you but YES gas does go bad, it will lose it octane level & get watery. It will kill spark plugs and pistons quickly in small engines. Any gas that is going to be stored for more then 6 months should have a stabilizer added to it. This is why you need to drain fuel out of motorcycles during the winter and I should know as I have 3.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I think the bigger issue with fuel sitting too long is that it will create a varnish like coating inside your carburetor & carb float bowl. Gum up the needle valves & jets, almost impossible to remove once it gets in there. Most newer vehicles, four & two wheelers have injection systems vice carbs these days, but I reckon your generator will still have a carb unless it's a diesel. In any case, fuel stabilizer and run it once a month I'd say, you should be good. And run it for 5 to 10 minutes right after you add the fuel stabilizer to get the stuff into the entire fuel system.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:12 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I think the bigger issue with fuel sitting too long is that it will create a varnish like coating inside your carburetor & carb float bowl. Gum up the needle valves & jets, almost impossible to remove once it gets in there. Most newer vehicles, four & two wheelers have injection systems vice carbs these days, but I reckon your generator will still have a carb unless it's a diesel. In any case, fuel stabilizer and run it once a month I'd say, you should be good. And run it for 5 to 10 minutes right after you add the fuel stabilizer to get the stuff into the entire fuel system.
Ya that the other part that was on the tip of my stylus but did not come out

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build