Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmer Choice

Ok, so here is my poll, I am currently setting up my new tank. 130g+20g sump, nothing fancy, schmancy but I am having problems making a final decision on a skimmer. Due tp my budget I am thinking about the following. {1}Bubble Magus,{2} SWC Extreme,{3} Das BX1,{4} Red Sea C-Skim 1200 ,{5} or Warner Marine. They are all in around the price range I want to pay which is between $200+$400, So what do you think or like? And what don't you like about any one in particular? And no, Bubble Kings are not in budget.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I run a Deltec APF701 on my 95 w. 60 gallon sump...

I got it for a great deal and really cant say enoug about how great it works for me...

having said that, I sure do like the Bubble Magus' and I think if I were starting a new system, I would buy me one of them...

The only other skimmer that's really caught my eye is the Skimz one...
Purely for looks though, I have never even seen one close up in action.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 PM

The Deltec APF701 is discontinued, they are a bit pricey on the uk website I visited....
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

for your sewtup what are you doing and how many fish, if its not to big then the SWC cone 160 all the way I used this skimmer on a 150 gal with a 40 gal sump andf it was totally bullets all the way. pulled amazing crap out and it has a small footprint, along with super quiet and cheap its like 259 before taxes.

I would take it over all thou skimmers
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the SWC or the bubble magus. I run a bubble magus myself and am fairly happy with it. (as happy as you can be about skimmers I guess! Who is ever really happy with their skimmer? Unless you own the deltec of course - man I had a 701 once that was the best piece of equipment I ever owned, but I digress!)

I'm surprised the warner marine is the same price- maybe for a skimmer rated for a smaller tank? I've heard really good things about them, how the pumps and bodies are perfectly matched, etc. If they were the same price and the same rating I think that's the most well-engineered and prob best-built skimmer on your list. What models were you looking at?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Love my SWC xtreme 160 on my 110 system. Is a touch loud but the skimmer was a great price.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

I love my SWC Extreme 200 on my 120 system. I don't find it loud or anything when it's in my cabinet.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Ok; I will post an update here, I originally purchased a SWC 180 and used it for a while, I would dial it in and watch it, it would skim and then it would overflow, then it wouldn't skim, then it would overflow and so on and so on. So after taking care of a friends tank while he was away I watched how his Bubble Magus performed, so I bought a Bubble Magus BM-180ex and have to say I am very happy with it so far. No constant re-adjusting and it pulls way more crap than my SWC ever did. Just so you all know I tried the SWC for approximately 8 months, changed impeller wheels and followed all instructions to the letter. Whether I just got a lemon or not I don't know but I have to say the Bubble Magus has outperformed the SWC so far. And both have the cheaper Atman pumps so that isn't a difference either.