Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-30-2011, 02:56 AM

Beanz is on a distinguished road
Default 45 Gallon Fish Ideas

Ok so i am trying to decide on some fish for my 45 gallon tank that i hope to turn into a zoa tank. right now i have a spotted mandrin (which is my favorite fish ever that i adore and he is amazing lol) who eats brine shrimp and a yellow tang (who i will b getting rid of) and a zebra moray eel (who i am trying to sell). so i am looking for some fish ideas that would work with the mandy and not torture zoas(or really anything for that matter). i am kinda leaning towards a bunch of gobies like 2-3 like the nano ones. but want some more options to add a little life/color to the tank and not turn the tank into a ufc octagon lol. the other occupants in the tank r cerith snails, cleaner shrimp, nassarius and a sand sifter starfish. o and i will b purchasing the fish after the ones i want out r gone.

Thanks, Ian
Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Midas blenny's are one of my favorite that would work in this system. They are very non-aggressive, stay small and reef friendly.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 AM

OOOOOOOOOOO that would look amazing, i love the movement of blennies and the gold midas r beautiful. i have a question concerning clown gobies... i have read that they are difficult to get feeding.

Cheers, Ian
Old 01-31-2011, 03:46 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
OOOOOOOOOOO that would look amazing, i love the movement of blennies and the gold midas r beautiful. i have a question concerning clown gobies... i have read that they are difficult to get feeding.

Cheers, Ian
I have a clown goby and never had an issue with him eating... Can't say any more than my own experience.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 AM

ok kool, would i have issues with if i got the midas, clown goby, rainfords, somekinda watchman and pistol pair and maybe something else too? like a carpenters wrasse. or is this too crowded?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:16 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Nah I don't think so, any more and you are pushing your bio load. Make sure to keep on top of water changes and have a godo skimmer. Mainly nano fish like that shouldn't be too stressed, but keep an eye and add them slowly.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 AM

Ok, and btw the full volume of the tank is gonna b like 80-90 gallons with the larger dump imma b getting. that will hopefully help keep the nitrates low, might just hold of one one or two fish. gonna b a hard decision. and ur sure the pistol wont have a problem with the cleaner?

Cheers, Ian