Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 AM

bigbadbrent is on a distinguished road
Default Is a Biocube a good deal?

Looking into getting a tank and kind of up in the air on how I'm going to start. I've looked at the Biocube kits, are they a good deal or are there lots of stuff that needs to be replaced? Or are they ok to pretty well get running, cycle and get fish in it? Looking for a pair of Clowns, and maybe some others that would get along. I understand I wouldn't get much in the tank.

It would be a FOWLR tank, so not worried about reef stuff.

What about the JBJ Nano Cubes? Or am I being silly and getting a regular tank would be more affordable in the long run?

Thanks for the help

Brent

Last edited by bigbadbrent; 01-26-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

biocubes are a great way to step your foot in if youve no previous experience they work just fine but i guarantee youll be upgrading lol not many are happy with just a small tank and youll end up with corals too mark my word lol but for a small tank the biocubes are def affordable to starting your own from scratch.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Moby da Goby is on a distinguished road

I got back into the hobby with a Biocube 29 and so far the only thing left in it that's stock is the lights, and those are going once I get my tax refund! I like the size plus the clean look too it and the fact I can hide a lot of stuff in the back chambers.

Nano-reef has a lot of great information on modifications that people have done to their biocube, nano0cubes and other all-in-one styles.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Keep your eye out for a Red Sea Max 130 as well, IMO still the best built all in one out there. I have had both the RSM and Biocube, and its just as Reefwars said, you will be upgrading. Starting with an all in one means less planning than a bare bones setup, and for a person that's new to the hobby that means less chance of error.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

lol - once you start reading NANO REEF your bio cube wont suffice.

Here are the basic things pretty much everyone upgrades so if you are a tech junkie or someone who likes to diy you will need to add these costs into you budget

skimmer - tunze 9002
add powerheads (couple Koralia nano 425 or vortech mp10)
change lights (leds or 18" t5s if you want to keep the stock hood)
add INTANK media rack (for chemipure, carbon, chaeto)
replace return pump for higher turnover through fuge section

with that said it might be a better to get a used tank of similar gallonage and add acrylic baffles in the back to mimic the all in one design of the bio cube then just purchase the above items or build them into the design. Lot of people on nano reef have gone this route and you usually end up saving some cash and get what you want from the start instead of wasting money on parts you just end up throwing out.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

My first SW setup was a 29g bio-cube. It was a great learning tool but agree you will wan't to upgrade in the future....If I were starting again I would still go with the biocube for this reason but I wouldn't buy a new one, you can get used ones fairly cheap and save some $$$ for the future system when you know which way you want to go...
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep several Biocubes/Aquapods.

They make Ideal species displays for a lot of cool animals...

One of my favs was a pair of yasha gobies and 3 tiger pistols in an 8 gallon I had...one of the most active conversation starter of a tank I have ever had.

You wot neccesarily want to upgrade from a biocube, some people do but it all comes down to you and what you're looking to get out of the hobby.

A bone stock 29 AIO (or All In One) will let you keep alot of cool animals and defnitely a great way to see if this hobby is right for you...

They are also quite easy to sell again, if you DO decide to upgrade or realize it's more work than its worth.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 AM

bigbadbrent is on a distinguished road

Called around, Big Als has the 14 gallon for 319.00, which is nuts cause theyre 199.00 on the big Al's online site. I understand shipping, but I know it's not a 50% added on.

Thanks again guys, gonna take a long time but hopefully do it right.

Not a big fan of buying tanks used, mostly cause all I've seen have major scratches, far too annoying.

Thanks again
Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 AM

Riptide is on a distinguished road

I recently had to downgrade from a 90 gal reef because I simply couldn't afford it. Thanks to a major tank crash I was forced to find a used all in one, and although it's only been up and running for the last week or so I love the JBJ 28 gal HQI. I found it used it has all the compartment for the media, skimmer(which I'm actually impressed with for an airstone skimmer) heater, pumps and it's really quiet which the wife loves. I really wish I had started out with one of these. All my corals seem to absoultely love it, my frogspawn came back with a vengence and seems to have almost exploded....I did put 2 maxijet 600's in for my main pumps and a koralia 1 for added flow. Nothing but good things to say so far.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 PM

pirate is on a distinguished road

I started out with a 29g bio cube. It was so easy to start up. If I was going to another AIO I think I might go for the big RSM. Or I might try and make my own AIO out of a bigger tank. I love the way the biocube looks. I would only go for the larger ones, and start looking at the mods that people are doing befor you put water into them. Lots of very good ones to do depending on what you are wanting to do with them.