Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceans Motions

Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road
Default multidirectional flow

Continuing MitchM's post and Stir Crazy's request here is another option for mass movement.
Below is the simple line drawing for a pumped surge device.

This pic shows the 4 sequences and how the direction of the tank would be affected, please npte that these are views from above, red are C/L feeds to pump and blue are C/L returns from the OM unit.

In Stir Crazy's situation the outlets could be split to get the laminar flow he desires,
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

thanks for posting that, I was going to start this thread yesterday but had to go to work early.

my concern with this set up is the water PSI it takes to index the unit. what I am trying to end up with is a reversable mass water flow to simulate an ocean current with out any high velocity spots.

to do this I amd figuring the max pressure out of what ever pump I use has to be adjusted to about 2PSI which I don't think is going to be enough to index your unit. I don't know how big the ports are or anything and how much it moves when it does index, or are you talking about one of the motorized ones with a double barrel?

a super squirt stacked would be a good size but will the motor be strong enough to turn two barrels?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
thanks for posting that, I was going to start this thread yesterday but had to go to work early.

my concern with this set up is the water PSI it takes to index the unit. what I am trying to end up with is a reversable mass water flow to simulate an ocean current with out any high velocity spots.

to do this I amd figuring the max pressure out of what ever pump I use has to be adjusted to about 2PSI which I don't think is going to be enough to index your unit. I don't know how big the ports are or anything and how much it moves when it does index, or are you talking about one of the motorized ones with a double barrel?

a super squirt stacked would be a good size but will the motor be strong enough to turn two barrels?

Steve
This is the motorized unit,

this is the 1 1\2" unit with just 4 ports, the previous pics are for the 8 port unit, I will host a pic when I get back down to the shop.

Paul
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Damn those look crazy sweet.

So if I understand the pics correctly you're switching not only the outputs but also the drains?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Damn those look crazy sweet.

So if I understand the pics correctly you're switching not only the outputs but also the drains?

Certainly, the drains are switched to pull in the same direction as the returns push, this will give you the maximum amount of water movement, the time delays would be controlled by the same timer I showed earlier, Beananimal wants to modify a 555 timer for me to do different time delays at different locations, but he won't do it until I build his jet pack

Paul
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That would make a great setup. I had thought of a similar idea myself but using MOV's and a PLC but the cost was too prohibitive and not very "KISS principle". Using a single OM device for the same thing is awesome. Very cool!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf nut View Post
This is the motorized unit,

this is the 1 1\2" unit with just 4 ports, the previous pics are for the 8 port unit, I will host a pic when I get back down to the shop.

Paul
the 4 port is probably a better set up for what I want to do, so each port is 1/5" ? this would let me run 1.5" headers to each side of the tank and then break down to four 1" bulkheads or six 3/4" bulkheads.

how exactly does the rotation work on these are they a constant turning unit?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Oh and out of curosity can you post or PM me a price on the 4 port unit that would have a delay function.

for the delay, is it adjustable? I wouldn't want anything like a wave maker but being adjustable between say 1 hour and 6 hours in 1 hour incroments would be cool. I don't think having an off time is nessasary as when the switch over occures there will be a time period of random flow while the water flow is slowed down and reversed.

Steve

Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
That would make a great setup. I had thought of a similar idea myself but using MOV's and a PLC but the cost was too prohibitive and not very "KISS principle". Using a single OM device for the same thing is awesome. Very cool!
Thank You I try to please.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post

for the delay, is it adjustable? I wouldn't want anything like a wave maker but being adjustable between say 1 hour and 6 hours in 1 hour incroments would be cool. I don't think having an off time is nessasary as when the switch over occures there will be a time period of random flow while the water flow is slowed down and reversed.

Steve
Airotronics units come with different values,all adjustable, you can easily obtain a timer that gives you the delay values you require,from seconds to hours, your choicethere are only a few options to get what you need, using a 1 rpm motor, or any rpm motor there will be no random activity, Bean has a better alternative.
The valve and pump simply go into their own closed loop cycle as that happens, remember the motor will move and stop (in 15 seconds) at the desired location until it sees the time out and then moves to the next location this isn't a progressive move as in a typical OM4.

Last edited by golf nut; 01-03-2011 at 10:16 PM.