Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road
Default Anywhere in Canada to get DIY LED supplies?

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there anywhere in Canada where one could purchase LED supplies, in particular Meanwell drivers and/or heatsinks?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Anyone have any ideas? Or are these things not sold from within Canada?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Not really aware of anything in Canada but you can order all that from RapidLED.com in the states. You won't get charged brokerage or duty and the shipping rates are reasonable so it's not much different from ordering from Canada.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Not really aware of anything in Canada but you can order all that from RapidLED.com in the states. You won't get charged brokerage or duty and the shipping rates are reasonable so it's not much different from ordering from Canada.

+1 I'm doing the same ordering from rapidled.com would seem like they have reasonable prices and shipping , and I think the kits have a good reputation so far
Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

How much (value) did you order? If it's a few hundred bucks, technically you should still get dinged for duty... Even if the sender checks off "gift."

Usually it's the smaller packages that can squeak through customs.

Quote:

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 AM

Dunno yet, haven't received it! Will update when I do...
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 PM

kookie_guy is on a distinguished road

The only ways you are getting away with not paying brokerage and taxes are:

1) They indicate the value of parcel under $20 CAD
2) They indicate the value of parcel under $50 (or $60) and check off "gift"
3) Shipping air express (that's what I've herd)

If they are doing #1 or #2, they are technically breaking the law, but some vendors do it. I know I always ask for it when ordering stuff.

For big ticket items, I just have my stuff shipped to Niagara Falls, NY, and pick it all up myself. The additional cost of shipping to Canada always more than offsets the cost of gas. Then just go do some shopping while down there.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ View Post
How much (value) did you order? If it's a few hundred bucks, technically you should still get dinged for duty... Even if the sender checks off "gift."

Usually it's the smaller packages that can squeak through customs.
It was $80 worth of stuff and I didn't pay duty. I don't think I've ever paid duty or GST on any items shipped USPS. I even just ordered $600 worth of bathroom fixtures and paid no duty so I'm not sure if some companies pay the duty for you or what. When something is shipped courier I usually always have to pay brokerage fees which I believe include duty and sometimes GST.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 PM

kookie_guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It was $80 worth of stuff and I didn't pay duty. I don't think I've ever paid duty or GST on any items shipped USPS. I even just ordered $600 worth of bathroom fixtures and paid no duty so I'm not sure if some companies pay the duty for you or what. When something is shipped courier I usually always have to pay brokerage fees which I believe include duty and sometimes GST.
USPS is by far the cheapest. Not sure how you are getting away with not paying. Some companies charge you extra up front and prepay the fees for you, so that may have been your case.

- USPS charges $5 brokerage, and then you pay tax. This is done at package pickup. No pay, no package.
- UPS charges something like $15 plus tax, and they want the money at the door, or no package for you.
- FedEX is the worst. They are something like $20, plus the tax. The worst part is that THEY pay the fees on your behalf, and then mail you a leter 4 weeks later that you owe them money. If you don't pay, they send it to collections.

At least with UPS and USPS, if there's an error made, you can show paperwork and the brokerage/fees are adjusted. With fedex, is a pain in the ass, since the fees were paid a month prior.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM

deputy1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie_guy View Post
The only ways you are getting away with not paying brokerage and taxes are:

1) They indicate the value of parcel under $20 CAD
2) They indicate the value of parcel under $50 (or $60) and check off "gift"
3) Shipping air express (that's what I've herd)

If they are doing #1 or #2, they are technically breaking the law, but some vendors do it. I know I always ask for it when ordering stuff.

For big ticket items, I just have my stuff shipped to Niagara Falls, NY, and pick it all up myself. The additional cost of shipping to Canada always more than offsets the cost of gas. Then just go do some shopping while down there.

Now, you are correct with your information on duties but you've over looked one key factor. Cree LEDs are manufactured in the U.S.A. I believe most of the manufacturing is done in Durham North Carolina. Because of this the order from rapidled.com should qualify under the NAFTA. To qualify under the NAFTA, the following must apply:

1. The goods are for your personal use; and
2. they are marked as made in the United States or Canada or not marked or labeled to indicate they were made anywhere other than in the United States or Canada.

Therefore, you should not be paying any duties. I've ordered from them before with no duties charged.