Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Default Never a dull moment in Reefland!

I get up this morning and come downstairs looking forward to my Sunday morning cup of Timmy's. Instead I hear the unpleasant sound of a powerhead sucking air. The water level in the 90g is down 3" and the MP20 is sucking half air/half water. The Foxface is hysterical, dashing about crashing into everything, and all other fishes are in hiding. Poccillipora colony is half exposed to the air and covered in slime. The sump is, of course, 90% full and the skimmer is overflowing everywhere! FML!
For whatever reason, the return pump (Mag 950) has failed. I unplug the skimmer and the pump, run to the garage to grab the back-up pump, (old faithful Sedra KSP 7000), put in on-line and plug it in. Nothing! WTF! I take the pump out and plug it into a wall socket and away it goes. Hmmmm? I plug it back into the powerbar: nothing! The skimmer, two dosing pumps, and refugium lights are all plugged into the same powerbar and they're all working. So I plug the pump into a different outlet on the powerbar and away it goes. One outlet on the 6 outlet PB is dead. Weird! Never seen that before.
So I do a 25g water change, replace the carbon, blow the slime off the corals, clean the skimmer and plug it back in. It doesn't go on! Grrrrrrrrrr!!! Take it apart, clean it all up, plug it in again and it still doesn't go on. I'm about 2 seconds away from getting a large hammer and smashing all of this electronic crap into teeny weenie pieces! Calm Down. Step Away. Go get your coffee. And that's where I am at the moment, having my coffee, while I vent on Canreef. Sometimes I think more tank problems are caused from faulty, crappy equipment than anything else.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Dyspnea is on a distinguished road

Smashing something always make me feel better, until I realize I made a bigger mess and have too clean it up That really sucks hopefully everything rebounds well.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Lol lance you have patience my reef friend me I would haveect it and we t for a coffee.

No I wouldn't I would done the same thing
Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Kinda makes you wonder why this is considered a hobby, I thought hobbies are supposed to be stress reducing and fun all the time.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

What's with all the crap luck lately. Power through Lance this seems to be the way it is!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Lol lance you have patience my reef friend me I would haveect it and we t for a coffee.

No I wouldn't I would done the same thing

Trust me Mike, I was pretty close to walking the pump, powerbar and skimmer to the edge of the sundeck and throwing them all into the fish pond in the back yard!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
Kinda makes you wonder why this is considered a hobby, I thought hobbies are supposed to be stress reducing and fun all the time.

Stress? What stress? Nothing a half bottle of Xanax washed down with a glass of Grey Goose can't handle.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

How annoying, hopefully the coffee helps and you're able to figure it out.

If it makes you feel any better I have a busy reef day today too. I plan on shutting down my 20g cube and moving stuff over to the 230g reef. However since I haven't been doing much upkeep on the 20g I have to take whatever sps I want to keep and re-attach them to different rock, bring the sps I don't want to my friend, and I have to scrub all the unwanted algae off of the rock I want to keep (mostly the rock the zoas are on) and add it to the 230g display. So much for my relaxing Sunday of doing nothing. Now I'm thinking it would be easier to do the water change on it and leave it running for a bit longer Guess I can't procrastinate forever though!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:18 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Don't feel too bad Lance, I have flooded my house 3 times in the last two weeks.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Don't feel too bad Lance, I have flooded my house 3 times in the last two weeks.

And you're still living there? Or in the doghouse in the back yard?