Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default Why does my skimmer go berzerk ???

Okay, this is driving me mental!! I've been using this skimmer (Bubble Magus CS220) since this past spring and recently it has been behaving strangely. At least once a week it will bubble over and flood the collection cup and spill into my sump. Drives me mad! I have only ever seen it do this when I use a lot of epoxy but I'm not using epoxy once a week. In fact, I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. The skimmer has been cleaned thoroughly 3 times this month. The water level in the sump compartment that it is in does not change. I know that it'll do this if a new sock is put on that happens to have detergent residue on it, but nope, will bubble over with old unchanged sock. The first few times it did this I thought, okay, some spawning event or some such thing must have occurred. Well, this is still happening at least once a week and has been doing this for over a month now. If it keeps this up I'm going to throw this skimmer into the blue recycling bin.. after I've run it over a few times.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Try injecting some hot water down your airline with a syringe. If you have a blockage in your airline or venturi the skimmer level will increase rapidly because the pump is pushing more water than air. This is something that should be done on a regular basis to keep the skimmer running efficiently. It's worth a try.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
Try injecting some hot water down your airline with a syringe. If you have a blockage in your airline or venturi the skimmer level will increase rapidly because the pump is pushing more water than air. This is something that should be done on a regular basis to keep the skimmer running efficiently. It's worth a try.
Been there done that
Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I would say it is cuz it is CRAZY just like you

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Mine does the exact same thing about as frequently. Different model skimmer but still a Bubble Magus. Maybe it has something to do with the pump. I've looked at all kinds of things to explain it away like small variances in water level and blockages and dirty intake venturi but it doesn't seem to be any of those things ... it just happens.

And it torques me off too. I've been living with the collection cup overflowing the last few days because I just give up on resetting it every few days.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

Mine went crazy lst night and it's not even bubble magus and I didn't do anything different from what I normally do.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 AM

Huh.. Weird. I've never had a skimmer just randomly blow its load. I've always been able to determine why (epoxy, new sock, medications, etc). This is driving me ape detritus!! At least I'm not the only one. I can't live like this tho so if it keeps up I'm recycling its red ass!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Okay, this is driving me mental!! I've been using this skimmer (Bubble Magus CS220) since this past spring and recently it has been behaving strangely. At least once a week it will bubble over and flood the collection cup and spill into my sump. Drives me mad! I have only ever seen it do this when I use a lot of epoxy but I'm not using epoxy once a week. In fact, I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. The skimmer has been cleaned thoroughly 3 times this month. The water level in the sump compartment that it is in does not change. I know that it'll do this if a new sock is put on that happens to have detergent residue on it, but nope, will bubble over with old unchanged sock. The first few times it did this I thought, okay, some spawning event or some such thing must have occurred. Well, this is still happening at least once a week and has been doing this for over a month now. If it keeps this up I'm going to throw this skimmer into the blue recycling bin.. after I've run it over a few times.
Do you notice when it happens. i got this too when the water level is too high when i turn off my return pump during feeding.

Have you tried to shoak the whole skimmer in vinegar and let it break in again? may be some proxy got stuck in chamber?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Your controller should monitor your ph. That being said can you record your ph levels and the approximate times it overflows?.
Just a thought.
Kevin
Old 12-10-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
Do you notice when it happens. i got this too when the water level is too high when i turn off my return pump during feeding.

Have you tried to shoak the whole skimmer in vinegar and let it break in again? may be some proxy got stuck in chamber?
Always seems to happen while I'm at work. I have not turned off my return pumps for a few months now

The three times I did clean it this month I did run it in vinegar.