Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Capt_kulafu is on a distinguished road
Default chiclid fish

hello

i'm wondering about chiclid fish they are tricky to setup? is it fresh or salt water? how about the fish they are expensive too?

thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road
Default Cichlids

Depends on what type of set-up you are looking for, they are all freshwater more or less. If you are going for African or South American. South American fish, Angels{yes they are in the cichlid family} should really only be kept with angels and maybe a pleco or some snails. If you try Salvini cichlids, or Texas Cichlids, Jack Dempsey, Green Terrors, Oscars, etc you can mix them with caution. If you get a pair that mate they will defend their brood viciously....Don't recomend plants with cichlids unless they are artificial as the live ones tend to get moved around a lot. African cichlids are a little different as most require a slightly different care, They are really beautiful and smart/aggressive fish, they also require higher ph levels so do your homework on your species. They tend to be quite expensive if buying at your local fish store, so check out local breeders, maybe try BCAQUARIA as well. They usually are mouth-brooders and breed easily, so again do your homework before rushing out and buying any fish. Then most important....have fun, they are great fish, if I wasn't so commited to sw fish, I would be into the cichlid family in a snap....
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM

thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
Depends on what type of set-up you are looking for, they are all freshwater more or less. If you are going for African or South American. South American fish, Angels{yes they are in the cichlid family} should really only be kept with angels and maybe a pleco or some snails. If you try Salvini cichlids, or Texas Cichlids, Jack Dempsey, Green Terrors, Oscars, etc you can mix them with caution. If you get a pair that mate they will defend their brood viciously....Don't recomend plants with cichlids unless they are artificial as the live ones tend to get moved around a lot. African cichlids are a little different as most require a slightly different care, They are really beautiful and smart/aggressive fish, they also require higher ph levels so do your homework on your species. They tend to be quite expensive if buying at your local fish store, so check out local breeders, maybe try BCAQUARIA as well. They usually are mouth-brooders and breed easily, so again do your homework before rushing out and buying any fish. Then most important....have fun, they are great fish, if I wasn't so commited to sw fish, I would be into the cichlid family in a snap....
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM

maybe i have to switch from marine to chiclid!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
..have fun, they are great fish, if I wasn't so commited to sw fish, I would be into the cichlid family in a snap....

+1

The Africans are incredibly colorful too. Make for a nice species tank.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM

outacontrol is on a distinguished road

You can get some really nice cichlids from the Edmonton Aquarium Club auctions, there will be another one in the spring, probably march.
Another good source for cichlids is Alberta Aquatica web forum like Canreef.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 PM

jzz30tt is on a distinguished road

I keep a lot of cichlids, what information do you want. I can send you pictures if you'd like too.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM

yup i'm newbie in chiclid do you have picture can you post it here pls...

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzz30tt View Post
I keep a lot of cichlids, what information do you want. I can send you pictures if you'd like too.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Go check out www.Albertaaquatica.com ,...Alberta based and 99% freshwater...
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I tiger oscars and mine were around 6-7 " they are by far very personable and fun fish to have, mine would jump about 6" from the water and grab a pellet , ge was dead on every time alk j had to do was wiggle it so they are trainable lol . They get huge though as do some other cichlids so read before you buy. My oscars would eat any fish that hits the tank they are only compatible with a very few species