Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-16-2010, 05:21 AM

hound96 is on a distinguished road
Default clam death

why do they melt down for no reason parameters are perfect this is the 3rd one out of 8 in 2 years WTF
Old 11-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road

have a look for pyramid snails arround the base of your clams ..these will wipe them out fast and are hard to see until it is to late.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Default snails

been down that road already i have a canary wrasse to eat them plus i inspect them weekly and if i see anything strange , the one last night seemed to be getting eaten by a bristle worm but i thought they only went after rotting flesh
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Unless it wasn't actually a bristleworm...? Lots of worms that look similar, but aren't. Google "worm eating clam", and lots of stuff pops up.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I head read some threads on other sites before saying that bristle worms on a clams foot will actually stress them out enough to parish. Its a good idea to keep them on a base.

360 Reef Tank
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM

Default clams

i have 3 on the sand and 2 on a rock but i am buying a mcoskers wrasse next week
Old 11-26-2010, 07:02 PM

ScubaGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Squamosa clam died with pyramid snails on it

My squamosa clam has died.

The pyramid snails got to it and killed it. It was fine a couple of days ago with great reaction time so I am just stunned today to find the mantle all retracted and no reaction from the clam when it's touched. Upon turning it over, it was infested with tiny white pyramid snails. I had no clue, being a rookie at this (less than a year). I tried to scoop as much of the immediate substrate out as well. I just love clams and would love to have more in my tank but what should I do to get rid of/control these snails? I read that certain wrasses eat them? Your thoughts/experience with this? How often should I be inspecting the bottom of the clam in the future? I thought it was good to leave it alone to do it's thing and attach itself (in error!). How long do I need to wait before getting another one? What is the life span on these snails? What else do they host on?

I've been concerned about the loss of a couple of turbo snails lately. I've been blaming it on the blue hermits in the tank that have grown rather large. Would these snails go after them as well?

I love my tank and so far I've been pretty fortunate with some wonderful advice from the two LFS. This loss is hitting pretty hard though. I'm in there feeding corals, I could have easily looked at the clam while I was in there.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Also, how close do I need to watch water parameters after this? Should I be concerned? 2 weeks ago, all was well.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

pyramidellid snails.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Thank you for correcting me.

Tags
clam, death, health