Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Which option would be most suitable for a high school science classroom?
4ft reef 25 23.58%
4ft fowlr 14 13.21%
4ft community 12 11.32%
6ft reef 20 18.87%
6ft fowlr 7 6.60%
6ft community 2 1.89%
4ft community and smaller special interest tank (nano) 8 7.55%
6ft community and smaller special interest tank (nano) 2 1.89%
one saltwater, one freshwater (please specify below) 8 7.55%
other (please specify below) 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 PM

dunl is on a distinguished road
Default high school classroom tank

I'm going to put a saltwater tank into my classroom. I have a couple of equipment options, going anywhere from a 4ft (72g) up to a 6ft tank of some time if I wish to purchase. I also have some smaller tanks.

I'd like some ideas on what you think would be the best type of tank for a high school classroom. Interest for the students, ease of maintenance (relative ease, mind you....I'm no idiot ), educational, etc. Hopefully this poll will generate some neat ideas.

Simply think back to your high school times (or current, maybe for our younger members) and let me know what you'd like to see in a classroom tank. Feel free to elaborate profusely below.

Thanks.

Last edited by dunl; 11-09-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

What I think would be incredibly interesting and fun is to do a shallow touch tank, something like a 48" x 48" x 12" (~120G). It would be big enough for several people to stand around at once, you can pick livestock that could be handled (ie. softies, some LPS, sea cuc's, etc) so the students can get more hands on (touching your first coral is really bizarre and cool) and you can get away with less expensive, lower power lights.

Understandably the logistic would be more difficult and you'd have to custom build a tank but I think the education and fun factors would be higher.

I've actually be debating building one of these for myself for a long time!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

I would stick with a 4 footer. Plenty of room for fish, and simple corals. And yet still functional for lessons.

Nitrogen cycle (few test kits)
Ph - Calc - Mag relations (hated math with the elements of + that, means - that etc)
Coral reproduction (Biology tie in)
Refraction of light (a nice Brackish water with spitting fish!)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I say 4' reef.

As you wont be there to monitor 24/7 (weekends).... go easy softies (zoas, Leathers, Kenyas and so on) as they obviously need less attention and grow quickly. The movement they have will also be eye catching to your students.

Go easy peaceful community fish as well. Some that can handle overfeeding if a student accidentally dumps the food in (ha ha).

Should be exciting.

What ever you do.... PLEASE start a build thread. I'll follow it!

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

a 20g nano. Any bigger would be just too much work and good chance for a tank crash when it comes to taking it down and moving it at the end of the school year.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM

Seafan is on a distinguished road

Well I have a grade 11 daughter, I had my own ideas about what she enjoys about my tank so I threw them by her to see if she agreed with what I thought. Basically fish are fish to kids, sw or fw. Anytime she goes with me to lfs it's always the bizarre and out of the usual. Urchins, star fish (hitchiker as well as the usual), bristle worms, sea cucumbers and anything else that fits into the unusual category. If the fish are unusual this works too, puffers, lion fish, basically characteristics that most other fish do not have, or fish that will reproduce in captivity, clowns or cardinals, as well as symbiotic relationships. For corals, she finds most boring, until I want to start and do some fragging then she is in there like a dirty shirt with the cutters. For tank size she says a tank in the classroom might prove distracting during times when they really don't care what the teacher is saying, so placement of the tank should be considered. But should be as large as can be reasonably accomodated. Last year she was so taken with the unusuals that she had a fascination in biology class, and kept bringing things like bristle worms, bristle stars, asterinas, and amphipods out of my tank to study them under the microscope. Just our 2 cents, hope you find it useful.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Gee that's a tough one. I'll presume you have the ongoing budget to cover any of the options you laid out so, if Ignore cost..

-The best educational experience would be the one that best duplicates the ocean so I'd say reef. If we say reef then I would say 4' simply because it's more manageable.

-From a practical perspective, a reef tank is hard enough to care for when you're around regularly but when you're not near the tank for days on end (long weekends, summer holidays) so I'd wonder if ANY tank is really practical but I suppose a FOWLR would be a compromise of sorts. Still risky IMO.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

A six footer comes to mind.
I don't know why!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Tank for high school I say predator tank, things that kill and eat other things would be fun... just like school.

Last edited by sitandwatch; 11-09-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I hate to say it, but I would think a classroom tank would be a major distraction for the students. I know I wouldn't be paying a whole lot of attention in class if there was a fish tank in the room, fresh or salt water.