Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough
Default Big reef little predator or big predator little reef ????? Need some ideas!!!!

hey all i need some advice or for someone to brainstorm on what im gonna put in my tank lol so heres the layout the tank is as you all know 4x4x20" .....it has a section dived off at 36lx24wx20" origional plan was to house my snowflake eel.i believe its just about 75 gallons.

so all in all i have a " L " that is 130 gallons and a box that is 75 gallons

i was thinking possibly aggressive tank or non reefsafe in the 130 and do a mini reef in the 75 or i could do it vice versa have a small predator section and large reef any thoughts???
Old 11-06-2010, 12:16 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Big Reef, Small Pred way more room for the coral's.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 11-06-2010, 01:38 AM
R.I.P.

haha grizz i do love my corals ...i wonder how many zoo's i can fit in 130gallons lol

the problem i see is most of the predator fish i want get pretty big im thinking angels,triggers,lions,eels kinda thing nothing in stone but along those lines

i already have a snowflake eel hes still a juvie at around 10" so if i decided to use the 75 g as the predator tank it would be just him and depending on the scape maybe something else.i could house the snowflake in the small reef if i use enough large piping and caves but i could not have shrimp which ive been missing lol and it would only be a matter of time before he started harrassing small fish.

hummmmm i wonder ...
Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

You could do a zoa garden in the small side, nothing but ZOA'S would be cool. Put the shrimp in with them and some other fishes.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

well...........if your thinking large angels, triggers and lion fish then 130 gallons isnt really big enough either.....Im just sayin
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 11-06-2010, 04:20 AM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

what did you use to divide it? glass/arcyclic?
i was thinking the same for my million dollar tank but I was thinking it would be cool to divide it with rock. just a big wall of rock making a box area. basically the big fish cant get to the reef. or even seahoreses
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
well...........if your thinking large angels, triggers and lion fish then 130 gallons isnt really big enough either.....Im just sayin
Very true Doug very true even though that part of the tank is 130 g ita still got 8' of undisturbed swimming room in the shape of an L so I do have a litle more options than the average 130g

mikad it was done with glass 1/2" and the rank has a center overflow so it was ideal to do so both sections share the same overflow and sump. There are four drains and 3 return lines to be split into four
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Very true Doug very true even though that part of the tank is 130 g ita still got 8' of undisturbed swimming room in the shape of an L so I do have a litle more options than the average 130g

mikad it was done with glass 1/2" and the rank has a center overflow so it was ideal to do so both sections share the same overflow and sump. There are four drains and 3 return lines to be split into four

Yes "more" options.... but still need to be inline with water volume.

Just wondering.... 8'? So whats the depth and width. That I am sure will also have a bearing on what will thrive.

I am sure you could have a couple bigger fish.... but I would lean towards a fantastic reef... as a reef tank is always nicer than a predator tank in my opinion.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:09 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Yes "more" options.... but still need to be inline with water volume.

Just wondering.... 8'? So whats the depth and width. That I am sure will also have a bearing on what will thrive.

I am sure you could have a couple bigger fish.... but I would lean towards a fantastic reef... as a reef tank is always nicer than a predator tank in my opinion.

im not looking to keep any big predators if that was the impression i gave just ones that i couldnt have in a reef tank, the largest i would go would be like a niger trigger , i like the fu manchu(forgive my spelling) for lions,possibly small angels, again nothing in stone just some ideas

the tank is 4' x 4' x 20"h it has on quarter of it sectioned off so im left with a large " L " this L is gonna be 4'then makes a corner then another 4' of room so its 8' of swimming room before any fish hits a wall

i am going to be putting mostly zoas in if i do do a reef either way
Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Calling that 8' of swimming room is a bit of a stretch but I know you don't plan on large fish I'm just bugging you. Maybe you opened the door for the tang police's hit list now though haha. A standard 120 gallon now has two 4 x 1 swimming lanes doubled back on each other for 8 feet of swimming. Lol here we go!

I vote for large reef and plumb a secondary tank into it for your eel and whatever else. Sorta like Doug with his sorta-seahorse thing. Can't recall what he calls that tank now lol.