Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 AM

crussett is on a distinguished road
Default Help - Bubbles in Drain Line

Hello,

I'm setting up my first reef tank and I've run into a bit of a snag. I bought everything used from a fellow Canreefer. I have finally managed to get everything plumbed and hooked up, but I have a problem with the drain line. There seems to be air trapped in the line which is essentially blowing bubbles in the sump. I have a 72 Gallon Oceanic bow with a built in overflow which I have connected some vinyl hose to drain into the sump. I have read tons of forums with lots of suggestions, but at this point I'm just confused. I think the solution is something easy, but i just can't figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Chad

Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

Problem with Durso standpipes. It dampens the noise in the tank but noise and bubbles in the sump don't go away. Used to have that setup, changed it to herbie style not too long ago.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:23 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

is this a bowfront tank? anyway i just bought a tank with the same overflow... i took the durso out and replaced with a herbie... only downside is that my emerg drain is only 3/4".. basically i turned the dursos return into my emerg drain and used the dursos drain as my primary drain.. (1")

i ran my return over the top of the tank... i have a full canopy so you cant see it... if you decide to go this way i can help... it shouldnt be that hard to do even with the water in the tank... so long as its easy to get your hands in the overflow...

edit : well i guess i cant help as you are in bc.. i looked at the second posts city..
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 10-21-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:28 PM

lapdog2020 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lapdog2020
Default bubble help

Since i have a bubble trap in my sump i would suggest Bio spung for your problem! just put it in the bottom of your sump where your water is comming down. It's grat stuff.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

look online for build threads about a "reverse" durso down into the sump area...that should help...or break the water with a filter sock.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:11 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I'd say filter sock the bugger or use a pvc 'T' at the end where it goes into the sump. Have the hose cpme ito the sump at an angle and have the branch of the T out of the water and have the run of the T submerged in the sump. This should help the bubbles separate and let the drain asperate the air pockets. Understand what I mean? If not I can try drawing it up.

For zero bubbles there is a full siphon overflow but they are really hard to keep runnning and running smoothly.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM

tony_3a is on a distinguished road

what i did is i made it so about half a inch of the drain line is above water so the air bubbles escape right away, then the bottom half inch is in the water to make sure its still quiet, that reduced my bubbles by 80 percent.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 PM

That's the same idea as the 'T', except the T stops the water rushing into the surface from dragging more bubbles down.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 PM

crussett is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like the reverse durso is the same as the "T" suggestion, just with a cap and a hole drilled. I think I might try this suggestion because when I received the tank I had a problem with a couple of parts in the overflow so I bought a whole new AGA Megaflow overflow kit to rob parts from. I essentially have a whole extra set of durso pipes and fittings. The parts to build the reverse durso shouldn't cost much more than 10 bucks from Home Depot. I think the toughest part is going to be getting the stiff vinyl hose bent enough to attach to the reverse durso pipe.

Thanks!

Chad
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Oh, by the way, the T suggestion is for the sump end of the drain. No need to modify the standpipe unless you really want too.