Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Anyone try bike spokes as replacement impeller shafts?

I have a number of powerheads that sit in the dead equipment pile on account of the impeller shafts corroding to the point of breakage.

At least with MJ's you can order replacement impellers. But sometimes this isn't an option for other brands or different pumps.

My latest casualty is a Sunsun double powerhead (looks like two Koralia's mashed together). The magnets and propellers are fine but the shafts they spin on are toast.

I'm really, really tempted to go buy some bike spokes and cut them to length to get the pump going again. Standard spokes are stainless steel, maybe in some specialized cases you can even get titanium based ones although in my experience this has been hard to locate locally. But I'm happy to try SS, the shafts that corroded out were supposedly stainless steel so it can't be much different. Or can it?

Anyone try it?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm, interesting thought. If the spoke is stainless steel for rust reasons, I would see why not if it is the right diameter. Very interesting thought!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Also look into stainless tig welding rods. You can get them in several sizes and different grades of stainless. They may also be available in titanium but I am not sure.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Interesting idea on the welding rods - that's something to look into also. Thanks for the idea!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:50 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

As far as I remember, 316 stainless had the best corrosion resistance. All 300 series ss is also non magnetic.