Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-12-2010, 03:22 AM

Argentiner is on a distinguished road
Default Dehumidifiers

Was wondering if anyone here is using a dehumidifier and what brand they are using and what store they got it at. The humidity is at 80% in the basement where I keep my tank, and I'm a little worried about the house.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Humidty in my house has gotten out of control as well. What we have decided to do is install an HRV. It is actually a fresh air ventilation unit. Draws fresh air from outside uses stale air from the inside to heat the fresh air. The added benefit aside from continuous fresh air is that it dehumidifies as it exhausts stale inside air outside. We're getting a unit installed this Thursday.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I run a HRV (Heat Recovery & Ventilation) System. It works very well at removing/controlling humidity and also recycling heat in the winter. Tony/Delphinus put me on these when I saw his.

This systems are integrated into your cold air return and heating system, and work very well. My buddy who is a plumber, installed mine and of course was alot cheaper than all the others. If interested, I can always put you in touch with him. Just PM if you want his info.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I got a Kenmore portable AC unit this summer. It has a Dehumidify setting. I have been using it off/on all fall and love it. Although, it cools the air when it dehumidifies, right now it's taking the excess Halide heat out too.But when full winter hits I dunno how it will be

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 AM

Argentiner is on a distinguished road

Where did you guys get your HVR? I too have a plumber friend that could probably install it, so I could save a bit there. How much was the unit itself? I see a danby dehumidifier unit on kijiji but it has terrible reviews.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 AM

Air Pro heating and air conditioning is installing my unit. $2300 installed.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Air Pro heating and air conditioning is installing my unit. $2300 installed.
whoooooo. I was looking into these but havent got any prices yet. Little more then I expected but I really like the idea of them. Houses are getting more and more air tight now with all the new doors and windows and such so I find in ours as we upgrade more and more it gets stale inside quicker. I think these are a really smart idea.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum14 View Post
whoooooo. I was looking into these but havent got any prices yet. Little more then I expected but I really like the idea of them. Houses are getting more and more air tight now with all the new doors and windows and such so I find in ours as we upgrade more and more it gets stale inside quicker. I think these are a really smart idea.
Ya.. it wasn't so bad until we replaced our windows last spring. Our house suddenly became air tight and wow.. we had to turn on fans all day long and crank open windows. It was alright in the summer but can't really do that in the winter so the HRV will be a welcome addition for us.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

If you're handy (REALLY handy), Home Depot sells HRV's and you can install one yourself for considerably less.

I ran a dehumidifier for years (boy you get strange looks when you buy a dehumidifier in Calgary), but, they are noisy and the effect is localized at best and as soon as you unplug it the humidity jumps right back up.

80% humidity is going to be a HUGE problem down the road. Weeping windows when it's cold outside, damp walls leading to mildew on and in the drywall. I had the same problem, 6 months after moving into my current house I had all of the above, and the dehumidifier was running 24/7. This was with a 2 reefs - a 90g, 75g; and a 30g FW in the house. Really not that much volume of water and the damage was astounding. The problem is as stated that houses are more and more airtight these days so the humidity has nowhere to go. I was faced with a critical choice: scale back or quit, or install the HRV.

It hurt to pay that much but it was worth every penny. In fact, the more I learned about HRV's, the more I realized what a great idea they are. I will never not have a HRV in my house again - even if I don't have fish tanks. They're that good of an idea. As stated they ventilate air but unlike an exhaust system, it replaces the air pulled out and uses the exhaust air to preheat the incoming air at something like 80% efficiency (ie., 80% of the heat of the outgoing air is recovered - very important when it's -20 outside!)

AirPro Heating did mine. I got 3 quotes - Fagnan's, Sears and AirPro. AirPro was not the cheapest but they impressed me enough that it was worth the price - sold me a better high end unit, a better understanding of the problem at hand (they were very interested to learn about the fish tanks too!) and just did a better job of explaining how the HRV was going to solve the problem and what sort of sized unit for the required air turnover and so on. I'd recommend AirPro in an instant to anyone. Hopefully they're still as good these days.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

If you are familiar with Dez's tank you know it's a fair size and when you walk in the house you don't sense any humidity at all and that impressed me. If you have a canopy and can conceal the ducting it's possible to suck all that humid air out and expel it outside. He has a fan that runs 24-7 I believe. Cheap solution if it will work for you. He might have HRV but I don't think he does.